Earthquakes Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the geoscience website

1438214698_image.jpg

My wife and i were in Hawaii, staying at Waikiki in 2010 ish? not long after the major tsunami hit Malaysia area. There was a tsunami warning and they closed down the streets, sirens and everything, the whole works, everyone had to remain inside the buildings and be above the ground floor level. They knew exactly when it was to hit the shoreline and we were lucky enough to have an ocean view. It was exciting and scary at the same time and then at the appointed time the wave was about 300mm higher than normal. Thankfully that's my only experience of quakes and not what others have suffered.

Just spoke to someone who is about an hour away from Brissy they didn't feel a thing.

I live in North Lakes, about 20 Km north of Brisbane, didn't feel a thing. Other people in the area claimed they did.

I been through a few quakes while living in Wellington NZ. Luckily they were generally short.

I was in the mazda6 getting bashed around on a dirt road nestled in the Sexton area ...lots of steep sharp turns 30km p/h limit.
Mrs yobskin and me were looking for future camping/prospecting sites when we were shuffled across a straight road! No traction even when i braked... steering did stuff all in the gravel. Ended up in the ditch no damage. But at the time we didnt know it was a quake? Mrs yobskin thought i was playing silly buggers and nilly totalled the car! For the next 3hrs i copped the biggest ear bashing about my driving i nearly through her out of the car until we turned the radio on!....the next 2hrs she was a very quiet passenger.....

Saturday morning a 6.1 earthquake is recorded in NT, largest in Australia since 1988 but is it on the news , no not on Commercial TV stations or the ABC. Of course you get some obscure footballers gambling problems :p or the latest of Sydney's traffic issues dished up as National news. Oh well at least we have the net

Antarctica is a sunken and depressed cotinent
that will rise again as the weight of the ice is lifted from it as it all melts away ,.... as antarctica rises (and it will) it will cause subduction on the adjoining tectonic plates, which will give rise (pardon the pun) to earthquakes in multitudes.
This is go-ING TO HAPPEN ! :eek: 8) :( :D

news is about money, sensationalism sells ads. If your not into football, then there's half the "news" lost for you. Even in the off-season, football, or the deeds its players get upto, still get a large chunk of the "news". Then there's the plane crash coverage, thats way over-cooked.

Turn onto prime/seven right now....Mike Whitney is panning at Nundle :)