early 1800`s musket balls and un identified item

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys done a bit of coastal detecting today.
Found a heap of these what i think are musket balls from early 1800`s after google searching. And also something im unsure of. Looks about the same age. Very thin. Very fragile.
1412922816_cam01974.jpg

1412922841_cam01978.jpg

Mbe musket balls, if no holes [ then, sinkers prob.] the brass
object looks like a door knob, or could be an end of a curtain rod. even a part of a stair-case. it is a decorative item in any case.

Yes your right, old decorative item. The balls. No holes in them. Flat part where they have impact a tree. Pretty cool. All found similar area. I find sinkers some times but theae are not sinkers.

backcreek said:
The brass item is most probably off an old iron bed head.

That's probably right. I knew it reminded me of something,just couldn't think of it. well done.

going back on subject here from all these conspiracy's :rolleyes:

I decided to take the garrett out for a quick hunt before work as i have not detected in maybe 1-2 months and came across what looks to be a campsite from the 60's.

All these items were found within a 30-50 metres radius ( in the bush off track) and i only rushed as i had a time limit. However, tomorrow i will be all hours and will increase the search area.

a whole heaps of silver three pence and six pence ranging from 1942-1958 ( nothing grand) but some inspiration.
1953 half penny, 1948 half p, and 1941 penny.

Along with some interesting related items on the chopping board.
A cool lead maybe iron or silver statue. an old rusted razor, fair few bottles caps and unforatuntely smashed beautiful thick glass bottles from the 60's. as some i came across were amazing but broken. And items were just pinging every step for 40-50 minutes and i was only digging the good items such as the coins many 45's-53's i didnt dig. As the ones i did were just bottle caps. Many hopeful singlas such as 70-86's were the norm today. Very happy. But could be better.

The good thing was there was no junk items cans etc just camp related possible army related 60's camp site stuff. As i found approx4-6 rashion tins all stacked together but buried some in nice condition! Which i didnt take with me as it was early on in the search. but after finding out what they are i am entrigued to look further.

1420030543_dsc_4313.jpg

1420030543_dsc_4314.jpg

1420030544_dsc_4315.jpg

1420030544_dsc_4316.jpg

1420030544_dsc_4317.jpg

Pizza pie dishes or cheap stump caps maybe,...one of your musket balls is a lead head from an old nail and being on the old coins stirs the blood up to hyper speeds,..certainly not a spot to walk away from easily TM.

Now I know how those old blokes could run with a pan slung over their shoulder,...I always thought they were running to get the thing(emptying the pan) over and done with in one breath(ha).
Nanjim said:
Those round lids look like ....
Lids off the old Thunder Box Pans.....

Cheers Nanjim

well it was a battle out there today Pants and shirt completely saturated again and a bit of sunburn to go with it.
I headed out to the spot i hit yesterday and the 84's started. ONly 15 metres away from the coin haulage yesterday there were more coins. And gladly got that beautiful 91 reading and knew it was a florin. And a beauty she is. At that point though after maybe 3 + hours of sweating profusely the coins started coming in but i was out of water and warn out. Despite more coin signals (83) right near the florin i decided to trek home as i had no energy and was feeling the heat. But ill be back out there again tomorrow fresh picking up where i left off. Coins are just in abundance out there. SIlvers!
1420081504_dsc_4318.jpg

1420081505_dsc_4320.jpg

And not too sure about the potty lids, they look more like eating plates. could be pizza plates though but they are slightly curved. they were all stack together. I seperated them.
bloody hell im buggered. probably going to be maroon burnt tonight. F---. Aloe vera out.

1420082575_cam02275.jpg
1420082615_cam02276.jpg

Some of the hiding plaxes i found the silvers. Tucked away. I wonder why there are so many coins in this area. Hmmm?

Latest posts