ear training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ear fatigue is extremely common, I've done a lot of mixing for bands and other audio related stuff. Sometimes you just need to have a break for 15 mins and get back into it. I can mix heavy metal for 12 hours straight so my arms usually pack it in before my ears.

Heatho said:
Ear fatigue is extremely common, I've done a lot of mixing for bands and other audio related stuff. Sometimes you just need to have a break for 15 mins and get back into it. I can mix heavy metal for 12 hours straight so my arms usually pack it in before my ears.

is there any music you know of for " washing out your ears "

or to put it another way to refresh your mind / ear calibration ?

I never studied this but wonder if genuine Hemi Sync ( not 90 % of the youtube rubbish ) music might help played with stereo headphones ?

keeping hydrated helps alot too i think , too little water intake and the brain slows down.

Heatho said:
That would be an awesome job getting to listen to music all day :)
Unless of course you didnt like the music you had to mix i suppose.
Have you mixed for anyone we may know?

Was an extremely repetitive job, if you hated the music, even worse. Only thing to do is have a short break, you'll naturally get more endurance, I think it's a concentration thing also, you concentrate so hard on listening that it's actually mentally tiring.

I'd actually recommend training your ears to hear slight loudness differences and tiny pitch changes. Some people won't notice a slight pitch wobble or 1/2 DB level change, sometimes you need to train ears to hear stuff like this. When detecting don't use a threshold which is too loud, just one you can comfortably hear.

Try listening for stuff you would usually miss in everyday life. Check out this link also, it shows a graph of the frequencies and loudness which the human ear resonds to. Low and high fequencies need to be much much louder than mid range freqs. -10 DB for mids and up to 80 DB for low and high freqs.

Oh yeah, no-one famous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Latest posts