Dry Blowers/washers in QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the legality of using a fuel operated dry blower in QLD (Keene 151 to be precise). I have read the mining regs and found them to be very basic and can be interpreted in many ways. The regs clearly state that dry blowing techniques MAY be employed in GPA areas however, I have heard differently from other people. This has probably been discussed before so apologies for any double ups! I have contacted the Mines Department and they advised me to reference the QLD mining regs so I am a little stumped. Cheers Jay!

Hey mate ive spoken to many blokes up there that use drywashers but have not looked closely at this myself. I certainly hope so because i will be relocating there at some stage and intend to manufacture drywashers for qld. Lets hope some locals chime in with some concrete facts.

In my experience, dry washers dont work in QLD very well......

When you get to the wash layer, you can nearly always, grab a handfull, squeeze it, and it nigh on stays in a lump???
I dont care how dry you think it is!!!

A dry plant can't handle this, and you will lose gold.

There are plants out there that use drying techniques, but I dont know how they work...

Dry blower in QLD are not legal to be used the same goes for river sluices & high bankers.

The only items legal to use in this State are sieves & pans.

However "Dry Blowers" work very well here in the North when the material is dry & they catch very fine gold.

There are plenty of folks that use the above stated equipment in QLD.

"The regs clearly state that dry blowing techniques MAY be employed in GPA areas however", this statement you made can you please elaborate & provide some information as to where you found this info or a link as I find this very interesting & could be used to our advantage!!!!!!!

cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
Dry blower in QLD are not legal to be used the same goes for river sluices & high bankers.

However "Dry Blowers" work very well here in the North when the material is dry & they catch very fine gold.

"The regs clearly state that dry blowing techniques MAY be employed in GPA areas however", this statement you made can you please elaborate & provide some information as to where you found this info or a link as I find this very interesting & could be used to our advantage!!!!!!!

cheers
Lee
you can use what you want sluices and high bankers are not illegal. just no dreging

Permitted tools and extent of diggings in Qld

Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used. No machinery is permitted.

You can collect from the surface or by digging, but you are not permitted to dig below 2m of the natural ground surface of land or below 0.5m in streams. Overhangs and tunnels are not allowed.

On road reserves, no digging is permitted but collection from existing exposures is allowed.

Jaros :p

Ozjono said:
rc62burke said:

cheers
Lee
you can use what you want sluices and high bankers are not illegal. just no dreging

I suggest you do some more research & gain the facts!!! maybe ring the people that uphold the laws Like I have done to find out what is legal & what is not,, I too had the same opinion as you 12 months ago until I informed myself by a bit more study/research.
Not having a go at you it's just what you are saying is not right, that does not mean that there are not people out there operating outside of the REG's.
cheers
Lee

Fossicking means using hand tools only.

Hand tools are defined as follows :

(a) a pick, shovel, hammer, sieve, shaker, or electronic

detector; or

(b) a tool declared by regulation to be a hand tool.

The fossicking Act, which is the legislation that fossicking licenses are issued under, specifically forbids the use of machinery.

Use of machinery etc. prohibited

A person fossicking under a licence must not use machinery

or equipment (other than a hand tool) to fossick.

Maximum penalty400 penalty units.

I believe a high banker to be machinery, which is prohibited under the Fossicking Act

Please call me if you have any questions.

**** no personal contact details allowed****** edited by moderator

Hi DWT,

As I understand it a Shaker is usually used for gem hunting, its a metal stake that goes into the ground and holds a sieve about a metre above the ground.

It usually has four prongs like a metal cross welded to the top of the stake to hold the sieve in.

It just saves you bending down with the sieve so you can feed it with a shovel and sieve all day.

Cheers,

Grant

images

G0lddigg@ said:
and we go round and round again :) not the first thread this has been debated such a divide in rules up there.

Yeah, I think it might be in the interpretation of the act eh???
The 'fossicking' cant be mechanised in any way, but the 'processing' of the hand collected 'dirt', can be ran through a treatment plant???

Dunno? ;)

Simmo said:
G0lddigg@ said:
and we go round and round again :) not the first thread this has been debated such a divide in rules up there.

The 'fossicking' cant be mechanised in any way, but the 'processing' of the hand collected 'dirt', can be ran through a treatment plant???

Dunno? ;)

Thats exactly the issue isnt it interpretation and most people are shesp :) bills done it that way for years he never had any trouble....

Simmo said:
G0lddigg@ said:

Dunno? ;)

If you look closely at the act it does refer to "Processing" too!!!!!!!!!!
Lee

Lee, I think you know, that I study the act religiously!!

I think...... if you dig deep, Newman is a prospector too!!!

I find the 'judgements' , 'decisions' , 'OPINIONS' , of the relevant departments are flawed with misinformation.......

I'll just keep diggin'!!

Well if you work private land with the OK from land owner???.....

I work at a few sites, 1 claim, 2 mining leases, and on private farm land. I Hibank/sluice at all of these sites!

Am I breaking the law? (On the private farm land)?

Latest posts