Dream mat in a Walbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dustin, Basically to achieve what I have was to lubricate the cutting blade and the material along the line of the cut. The cutting action needs to be lightning fast (a snap cut) so that the material has little time to deform. A fast cutting action produces a clean straight cut, a slow carefull cutting action is the least successful and produces a wavy cut, this is because the material is so elastic that material adjacent to but outside the cut line is stretched and is pulled into the line of the cut and then downwards by the pull of the blade and this continues until the shear occurs. I do have an idea of how to overcome the surface deformation and I'll try it when i can bring myself to destroy my last fragment of Dream Mat :|

I've been cutting 6 inch long pieces only - the challenge is to cut 36 inches which is the full length of the mat. The cutting speed will be slower towards the end of the cut because of increased resistance over the length of the material slowing down the cut speed so to be successful I have to do control the elastic movement of the material so we have a straight cut for the total length and not a wavy edge at the finish, however as I said I do have an idea of how to overcome that....... watch this space as they say.

casper

1478424438_screen_shot_2016-11-06_at_8.26.36_pm.jpg

Ill send you some more mats to cut if you like mate. Ive got some short 12 inch sections you can play with

Thats a beast. The one we use is 3 tonne and electric but you cant get close to it with a bit if rubber has to be supported

Mate of mine is a printer by trade and has a guillotine that clamps down before cutting.
Might get some mat and have a go at it. :)

Haha casper the urethane is good to -40 but surely out of the freezer it has kess drag on the cut? Interesting test anyway

Latest posts