Done It Again-Another lost wedding ring found!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopa

Tim
Reaction score
Well this saga has abit of history so here goes.....................

The History;
It's the cricket season 2011 and our unfortunate player has just finished bowling and takes his fielding position in 'slips'. After a couple of return throws he takes a position as the bowler approaches and next thing his gold necklace falls to the ground at his feet. That's not the problem! Were's the gold wedding band that was attached to the chain, placed there for safe keeping while playing cricket. A mad search is conducted, which includes the opposing side-NO LUCK. Wife's not happy and the future's looking bleak! At an evening BBQ our fellow mentions his loss to a mate. "I know a guy who's got a metal detector' and that's where I come into the picture. We meet at the location and after a thorough questioning by me, he assures me of the location in which he lost said ring. I spend 3 hours going over this area, which is now the cleanest piece of oval you've ever seen, but no luck. After being asked many times if he could have lost it outside the selected area he again said "No it's in this area mate'" At the end of the search he thanks me for my time and we depart....

Fast forward to today- 16 May 2013. I wonder what ever happened to that ring..........

With a little bit of time on my hands I decide to grab the minelab e-trac and hit this oval again. I rang the local council and explained the situation and they were great! I marked out an area which was larger then the original one indicated by our cricket player and commenced the search. An hour and half into it and having explored many great signals, I've got nothing! I decide to search one last strip before hitting the area he was bowling at and on nearly the last swing I get a really sweet signal (11;44) solid at nearly 6 inches down. (surely that's to deep) Can't be the ring, but it's just such a great signal I'll dig it anyway. A quick search and a gold ring hits the light of day. The ring was at least 5 meters outside the original search area. You can never trust what people tell you about where they lost something. So tonight the ring will be returned after two years in the dirt so I'll let you know how that goes.....

Fantastic story Scoopa with an equally fantastic result, I bet the guy will be stoked.

Great story Scoopa !
You got a good heart man, love to see the look on their faces when you go through it with them .

Well done! Great end to the story. :D
Near 6" deep is a long way down hey... Must have got trodden down when the ground was muddy during the two footy seasons.
Maybe even pushed down if the grounds got mechanicly aerated?

How ever it got down that far - the owner will be stoked!

Great stuff Scoopa, I'm sure you're going to put a smile on the face of the owner, and your generosity will be remembered and greatly appreciated. Cheers wal. :)

The Final Chapter!
I met with the owner of the ring today and to say he was surprised is an under statement. He told me the game he was playing when the ring was lost was his last. (forced retirement) He copped some flack from his wife for sometime until she bought him a new ring (couldn't have him un-branded) but he said every now and then the lost ring is mentioned. After thanking me many times and an offer of a reward (which was declined) we parted with him still shaking his head in dis-belief. Sometimes this hobby is not just about the gold or money and I hope every 'detectorist' gets the opportunity to return something lost to it's rightful owner.

Very inspirational Scoopa, and I applaud your efforts in having the ring returned to the appreciative owner. Goes a long way to gaining faith in what's sometimes becoming a very divided world...Well done mate. Cheers Wal.

Yeah Ramjet I'm always amazed at the depth of coins. Sometimes in parks the depth is increased because of top dressing (not cross dressing) however I know the guy who manages the park and it hasn't been top dressed for three years. I think it's the specific density of the metal and the effect of gravity and ground movement. The make up of the soil also has an effect. Just look at how fast a gold ring will sink into the sand on the beach until it hits the gravel layer!

Well done Scoopa .good to hear these stories.
it really throws a postive light on detectorists.
Rec

Good on ya Scoopa..............but are you real sure those wedding rings were lost or thrown.....just a thought..lol

Great call bisho! After 2 years I didn't know if he was still married. I said that to the owner and he just laughed and said "I'm stuck with her"

Great work Scoopa, just goes to show how gold will work its way down to the bottom of anything it is laying in. Great work on the return, great story.. I love the time lapse in the story..

Latest posts