Do you know what this is?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't until I found another today, when I discovered what this object is.

Does anyone recognise it? And if so, what is its purpose for being this shape?
Cheers, I'm sure many may instantly know, but to me it was unknown for a few weeks

1460712320_14607120406370.jpg

1460712345_14607120835490.jpg

"3 oz and 4 oz are flat to lie in the sand.
5 oz has spikes to grip into the sand.
( I found 2x 5oz )

River Sinkers: No need to go with the flow. These large donut-shaped sinkers hold their own against the currents in rivers, tidal flats, coastal areas and surf. The low profile and raised outer edges of the River Sinker prevent the rolling or tumbling that youd expect under these conditions."

Ok, so for a non angler, is it keeping the line low, or never moving in the current..etc? I'm also guessing the line may run freely through these?

I used to use them in the Barwon river south of Geelong when fishing for Mulloway (Jewfish). They keep your bait low in fast moving currents.
A live bait pinned through the nose with one of those sinkers was excellent. Bloody hard to cast due to their weight, line snaps and sinker flew for miles. I used to use beads between the swivel and join line for shock absorbing the load.
No idea what one was doing in freshwater or an oval thou.

I used to have some in my tackle box when I was 13. 100% sinker if it is heavy for its size, My old man was a mad North Narra beach fisho.

Latest posts