DIY Hip stick for ATX metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great link there Redfin fantastic bit of information could be a great investment I think Cheers Mate. And also everyone else that has given input as well, looks like they will certainly take a load off. I had Been looking at getting a bungee cord but that video has convinced me on investing in one of these now.
Keep up the great info guys where would a lot of us be without the informative information from PA members!!!

dirtdiggin said:
I had Been looking at getting a bungee cord but that video has convinced me on investing in one of these now.
!

You still need the bungee cord, it attaches to the hip stick and the machine.

Sheeeit, Wot a difference it makes, just finished the stick and just tried it. extremely impressed with my meagar effort. It really takes the weight off, not wait off. Still gota wait to get to a patch to give it a good go. Will have to look at a harness; used thr shoulder strap it came with, thats why the velcro on the top, long enough to go round twice.
Parts List; Used a chippys chistle holder on belt, dome tent pole cut 20" , bakalite knob off a control lever for bottom on belt, 6" velcro, small screw & washer. Can't do pic at moment, young blokes got camera on school trip.
Big thanks to all for the input.

Redfin ,
Thanks for posting that vid...
I wondered how the hip stick worked .....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

The harness that comes with the ZED is even better, properly set up rendering the machines weightless. [see vid]

I also purchased a PROSWING 45 repair kit to transform the harness for the 5000.

1442367494_capture.jpg

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYLhEtoYiuo[/video]

Hi Redfin,

Can you post the details of the mod to the std 5000 harness when done :) I'd be interested in doing the same, the minister for finance won't see the sense in buying another harness me thinks ;)

Sure thing Filthyphil.

The standard Minelab PRO-SWING 45 metal detector harness comes with only one of the tubular supports as pictured below

1442380461_capture1.jpg

By buying a PROSWING 45 repair kit as pictured below, you get the other tubular supports, as well as the quick release
bungee. I made a cross piece as seen in Jason's video.

1442380626_capture.jpg

end result is absolute weightlessness whilst detecting = more time on the ground = more gold.
Worth every cent, even if it is only for your health.

Lots of Old fishing rods at your local council dump recycle shop just made one eazy peazy just give it a go a make it your way ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

P.S. if you look at Jonathan Porter he uses a Camel backpack and a army belt

Finished the hip stick and it works really well, got all the clips and "d" rings and 1m bungy cord from BCF; cost about $20 with bits I had at home. made a bungy to fit the Garret clip, and another from bungy cord from BCF. used 1/2" copper pipe to clamp end and 1/2" hose for slide adjusters. The brass bit at the top of the stick is a 223 shell case.
1443833149_p1050006-optimized.jpg

1443834034_p1050007-optimized.jpg

1443834766_p1050008-optimized.jpg

1443836107_p1050009-optimized.jpg

1443836575_p1050005-optimized.jpg
1443837187_p1050010-optimized.jpg

This pic is a cheat sheet I use to set up the ATX, 2 different set ups. Everything is on one page.
1443837588_p1050011-optimized.jpg

Thanks fellas. I'm on holidays ATM but looks like I've got something to make when I get home. Redfin, thanks for the link. I've saved it sdo I can revisit it when I get home. Will probably watch it a few times over between now and then so I can get it plain in my mind before then. Once again thanks to you all. I'm hoping it'll make a huge difference with my big coil when I get over there in a few weeks time. You are all legends.......

Sounds like the question might have answered some questions others had too. Thanks all.

Latest posts