DIY Hip stick for ATX metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fibreglass pole may be a pain to work and a worry if it snaps so I'd suggest using an alluminium hollow pole and squashing the ends for a place to drill holes for attachment using a bracket and clip system .

Doh..metal detector + alloy = fail. Bad comment sorry.

Hmm... would pvc pipe be strong enough? You can heat a 1/2" pipe over a hair dryer and flatten the ends

If you want to keep with the fibreglass you will need to epoxy or resin an attachment point to both ends.

Probally have to reinforce the end to stop it splitting, thinking velcro for the detector end. Attatch with a screw & washer, cover with those felt chair leg tips for wooden floors. Need leather on other end with belt slits; maybe carpenters chisle holder. Small cupboard knob screwed to belt end.

One word of WARNING!!!! If using carbon rod or tubing, and drilling or sanding....wear protective Face Mask, and if possible gloves.....and work outside & UPWIND as fine carbon fibres can get into your LUNGS and bugg3r them up in short order.

Also keep PETS away when doing this outdoors as well...gotta look after them as well eh?.

You......have been warned!

Gypsy

Get an old surf rod from hard rubbish or op shop. nice and light thin walled fibre glass and cut out the section you want. Looking at my commercial hipstick it would be easy to attach a small section of rubber to the end to create a flexible joint to connect to the detector shaft. Glue a small plastic ball over the other end (for comfort) and you are all ready to go.

Thanks for all the info and the links, was wondering how it attached to belt and detector; but link set me straight. Should make less stress on the back and shoulders, mite need less bundy in evening, perish the thought. Medisinel purposes only.

Latest posts