Hip sticks - looking for designs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkear

Geoff Mostyn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to make up two hip sticks for my wife and I.
I have previously used a commercial design which had a belt mounted ball swivel. The annoying part of that design was that when pressure was lost on the bungee, the hip stick ball often used to jump out of the swivel socket. Maybe I had the wrong length.
Looking for ideas for better or even less expensive designs that I can customize for each of us.

Tool holder from Bunnings, pool table ball, fishing rod and a few extras shown in photo, works a treat.View attachment 3134
Thanks for the photo. Do you have any issues with the ball jumping out of the ball socket when downward pressure is lost?
I found when working with a hipstick of similar design over more difficult conditions involving mounds, slopes, bushes etc and having to often raise the detector coil the ball end often jumped out of the socket when downward pressure was lost. Most annoying in those conditions.
I sold that hip stick with a 5000 I had a few years ago but now I have bought another 5000 need another stick.
I have a spare Bunnings tool holder like that one so will make up another one similar to yours.
Just had a thought that maybe with some rubber banding around the holder and shaft just above the ball, that might prevent any tendency for it to pop out of its socket still providing flexibility for the ball to swivel.

Thanks guys. I reckon that information solves my issue. I just didn't think to put a simple elastic retaining band around the bottom of the hip stick shaft. Should be a simple fix to the problems I was having using it in uneven ground.

Thanks for the photo. Do you have any issues with the ball jumping out of the ball socket when downward pressure is lost?
I found when working with a hipstick of similar design over more difficult conditions involving mounds, slopes, bushes etc and having to often raise the detector coil the ball end often jumped out of the socket when downward pressure was lost. Most annoying in those conditions.
I sold that hip stick with a 5000 I had a few years ago but now I have bought another 5000 need another stick.
I have a spare Bunnings tool holder like that one so will make up another one similar to yours.
Just had a thought that maybe with some rubber banding around the holder and shaft just above the ball, that might prevent any tendency for it to pop out of its socket still providing flexibility for the ball to swivel.
Never had a problem with it jumping out of the carrier. Maybe you are swinging a little fast???
Anyway as already mentioned if problem persists a heavy rubber band would probably solve the problem, Good luck.

Latest posts