Disturbing news for QLD prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I have today made a couple of phone calls to 2 different mining district offices, to get conformation on the use of "Sluices, Highbankers, Dryblowers" in QLD, due to the information in the below links.
In one of the links you will see I made a comment that yes you can use a highbanker!!!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3940

Have a look at the links.
This is what I was told today by 2 officers, No you can't use, Sluice (River), Highbanker, Dryblower, as they are not considered hand tools, to me this is disturbing

I also had a look at the legislation about fossicking & I could no longer find the reference that Electronic metal detectors are able to be used, I am certain 3 years ago it was in this legislation??????????

I will be Following this up & request this direction in writing, then I suggest we all get our minds on the JOB to change these crappy rules, don't they know how much we contribute to the economy.
I was under the impression that you could process your gravels with whatever you had at your disposal as long as it was excavated by hand!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Lee

Detectors are permitted, but a basic sluice seems to be a bit of a grey area - non mechanical, but still not mentioned. Everything else is either powered or has moving parts. Seems that they may be going the way that SA has gone, and that is mechanical or powered items aren't permitted, but detecting is, plus as it is fossicking, you can keep items found, but not permitted to sell them (gold specifically).

http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/permitted-activities-materials

Damm, too slow! :lol:

Don't panic about detectors as Last time I viewed the fossicking guide line it mentioned picks shovels gold pans and electronic detectors. The phrase "no mechanical equipment" is there.

Your will need to check the act again as things are changed at a fairly regular rate.

It would not surprise me at all if detectors are now band due to the idiots who fail to take 10 seconds to fill their holes or dig up manicured parks and gardens.

High bankers use a mechanical or electric pump and therefore would be classed as "mechanical devices". It has never been a doubt that they would not be aloud, apart from some people who claim to know more telling us they spoke to so and so and they say it's ok. Read the fossicking act.

I can't see the problem with a stream sluice unless it is seen as small scale mining. Does the act now mention "No sluices"?? I did read "No Power Sluices" (which would include high bankers, use of pumps and dredges).

The argument that transferring water is a water resources department thing does not hold water in Qld. (no pun intended). Processing of materials is still bound by the conditions of the fossicking act, namely "Hand tools only".

I think you will find in NSW the water resources act has a provision for "washing of gem gravels" on "APROVED LEASES AND CLAIMS"

Qld for instance;
If after having pegged and legally applied for an opal mining lease in Qld, paid the fees, lodged a "Plan of Operations" with the EPA and lodged the appropriate security deposit. How come I am given forms that only allow me to "MINE WITH HAND TOOLS" until such time my application has been approved by the minister and my Plan of Operations has been approved by the EPA??????
It's so the government and EPA are assured that I am not going to destroy the environment. And before you jump in, once our leases / claims are approved we do have to FULLY rehabilitate the area once we are finished mining before we can have our security deposit returned and be released from our Environmental Authority. Irrespective of mining practices in the pastTime have changed guys.

You guys think you have it tough! Be thankful we can fossick at all! In South Africa in some areas you can be arrested for having a small vial with a few flakes of gold in it.

Based on the rules below (c), they cant be assuming that this sort of damage can be done with a man & a pan , can they ? , you would assume that this refers to damming for sluicing etc . Diverting water could be where a highbanker is taking the water out , without returning it , that certainly is a no-no , so to me it references sluices & highbankers

13 Fossicking in a watercourse
(1) This section applies to a person fossicking in a watercourse.
(2) The person must not
(a) fossick within 40m of
(i) a weir, bridge or other structure in or over the
watercourse; or
(ii) a site of a pump used
to pump water from the
watercourse; or
(b) if fossicking within 3m of the top or toe of a bank or in a
bank slope may cause
erosion or the collapse of the
bankfossick within 3m of
the top or toe of the bank or