digging a hole

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have found a spot the has had a fairly good amount of nuggets found on it, it is only around 10 x 20 meters and is on the side of a hill.
would it be worth digging a hole and putting the contents through my little high banker? as yet i haven't found bedrock so am unsure how far down it is.

i am assuming that if there are 0.3G pickers and bigger in the gravel then there would be smaller bits that the highbanker will pick up.

any thoughts?

They say there is an equal amount of fines in the spread as there is nuggets Shep, just that detectors dont pick it up, and all traces (the nuggets) have been removed that point to it even being there in the first place (with old patches), probably why some places get graded and worked ,... but others were detected and forgotten, left to be unfound again by detector operators, cept by the thinkers that still see the trace of them in the signs (like a tracker of old, cept for wealth). ;)

The fines may not be sitting in the same place as the nuggets depending on previous circumstances geologically and environmentally speaking. :)

silver said:
They say there is an equal amount of fines in the spread as there is nuggets Shep, just that detectors dont pick it up, and all traces (the nuggets) have been removed that point to it even being there in the first place (with old patches), probably why some places get graded and worked ,... but others were detected and forgotten, left to be unfound again by detector operators, cept by the thinkers that still see the trace of them in the signs (like a tracker of old, cept for wealth). ;)
I find that extremely interesting Silver.... i never thought of that and it makes sense thinking about it now... the fine gold would be the particles coming from where the larger stuff is coming from hinting that theres a possibility that where the fine gold is(alot of it) could be a good place to sus out. I read about "loaming" on the forum last night and very interestin method to use for this sort of thing.. "An equal amount of fines in the spread as there is nuggets".. wow i will take that onboard.. :) i immediately thought of physics that theres an exact equal and opposite action and reaction.... i dont know how that fits in exactly..it just popped into my head with the fines/nugget theory

Just think of all those old spots that have been cherry picked of their nuggets with detectors (patches) for sometimes in the hundreds of ounces ,.... just that nowadays there are no thousands of Chinese diggers following the rushes and cleaning up the fines after it's all said and done( not inferring that the celestials didn't discover their own finds as well).
Imagine what's still lying there in fine stuff on someones (or just down from it a bit) 200 ounce patch that they've cleaned up over time and left no signs of their activities (filled in all their holes properly) at all cept the track marks from in and out a few times that you'd need good tracking skills to discover ,... even with research and on the ground forays only to discover nothing at all where your so sure the gold should be, may in fact just need loaming to discover the real truths that lay stripped of all their markers laying just beneath your feet.
those patches that fan out from their primary source would still continue in fines, all be it as micro rivulets of gold depending on terrain and geological circumstances. 8) ;) :D

silver said:
Just think of all those old spots that have been cherry picked of their nuggets with detectors (patches) for sometimes in the hundreds of ounces ,.... just that nowadays there are no thousands of Chinese diggers following the rushes and cleaning up the fines after it's all said and done( not inferring that the celestials didn't discover their own finds as well).
Imagine what's still lying there in fine stuff on someones (or just down from it a bit) 200 ounce patch that they've cleaned up over time and left no signs of their activities (filled in all their holes properly) at all cept the track marks from in and out a few times that you'd need good tracking skills to discover ,... even with research and on the ground forays only to discover nothing at all where your so sure the gold should be, may in fact just need loaming to discover the real truths that lay stripped of all their markers laying just beneath your feet.
those patches that fan out from their primary source would still continue in fines, all be it as micro rivulets of gold depending on terrain and geological circumstances. 8) ;) :D
Silver... that is very inspiring and much appreciated. I never thought of that... still learning lots all the time. Makes perfect logical sense to me. I will keep that idea on the back burner and really give that a go when im out and about the scrub, spend some time looking around and reading the ground(still learning and enjoying it),then pick a spot and do some "loaming" hopefully the creeks get flowing soon and set up the sluice and really have a great day slowly testing the areas. Where i am south of Ballarat there is old mines everywhere which i also research(hobby) and explore with a good mate every now and then, we dont look for gold under ground, just appreciate the work that was done by the oldtimers.. anyway back to the subject... theres alot of places to choose from and i love walking around the mountains looking at the terrain and rocks, slowly learning more about geology.. so thanks i will try and hit a big spot of fines and then piece the rest of the "jigsaw" together. Very helpful, thank you!

A small patch producing just shy of 20oz's, from 0.pube to a nice 3oz piece. The average depth of nuggets was 26 inches.
2 trailer loads of the surrounding material produced not 1 speck in the pan :(

it also depends on wether your finding gold in Alluvial or Elluvial deposit, deep/shallow lead deposit, and or a debri flow deposit.
Once you have worked out your deposit style you may be able to work out if it warrants further investigation other than your detector. :)

There is a book called loaming by Stan someone? Cant remember his second name but it explains exactly how to do the above and how to find where to put your efforts.
Ill post if I remember. Got the book somewhere. Not very helpful, someone may remember.

GT :)

There is also.
Robert K Fagen's LOAMING FOR GOLD IN THE 21st Century....

It is a good read as well as the one by Sam Cash.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Just roughly panned out the cons from last
weekend, I only ended up putting 2x20L
buckets through the sluice and I ended up with
around 15 specs so considering how little effort
I put into it I am pretty happy with the result.
Will give it another go but will dig down much further.

Latest posts