Diesel heater for your caravan.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Sounds like you could pump up the sleeping bag and use it as a raft if camped next to a river.
I have an in built natural pump jaros,although not fully appreciated by other campers,exacerbated by baked beans :lol: :awful: :lol: :awful: :skull:

greyhound said:
Jaros said:
Sounds like you could pump up the sleeping bag and use it as a raft if camped next to a river.
I have an in built natural pump jaros,although not fully appreciated by other campers,exacerbated by baked beans :lol: :awful: :lol: :awful: :skull:

Just add an ignition system and you'll be even warmer :lol:

Jaros said:

It looks a bit like a raft when it's all unfolded and has expanded, it ends up about 6 or 8 inches thick, It's too big for back packing or climbing etc It was designed for sleeping outside in the dead of Winter in sub zero temps, even one layer is too warm for -3*c heaven knows what it would be like under all 3 layers, and I could add another 5 season sleeping bag to it if it ever got that cold but it would have to be below -60*+ at leased,

I have 2 other sleeping bags that are rated to -50* and I put the 2 of them together and they are still not as warm as this new one on it's own,

xcvator said:
No need for a carbon monoxide detector with these heaters. If it is leaking exhaust fumes, you'll know it, they stink. Carbon monoxide is generally generated by open flames, not from sealed internal combustion. No van van or camper is airtight so there is always a flow of fresh air

You're still better off placing the combustion inlet outside the van.
If it's inside the van will have negative pressure, so it will suck in cold air though the vents.
It would be better for the van to have either neutral or positive pressure, so the those cold draughts don't enter.

Mine got set up with the inlet and exhaust routed to the outside (neutral pressure), and the inlet for the heat exchanger partially gets fed from outside via a 30mm pipe, this way the van inside always has positive pressure and it's pushing out excess air and continually bringing in fresh air.

condor22 said:
If I want to be warm in the cold, I get closer to the wife. :) At our age the night sweats have their advantage in winter, lol. Trouble is I go prospecting in winter and she stays home, hence the diesel heater........

:lol: :lol: :Y:

condor22 said:
If I want to be warm in the cold, I get closer to the wife. :) At our age the night sweats have their advantage in winter, lol. Trouble is I go prospecting in winter and she stays home, hence the diesel heater........

Now all you gotta do is pick the one that drinks less than you, LOL, :Y: :flowers: :perfect:

I bought also the 5 KW, Chinese diesel heater, and since I installed it quite easy by myself on my caravan (old 16 feet Viscount) I just love using it. I sleep next to it, and, I hear it less than I did hear my electric, forced air heater. Cheap to run and very comfortable, and I payed just 150.00 AUD,with postage and handling free on the Ebay discount sale, some couple of months ago.

Opalian said:
I bought also the 5 KW, Chinese diesel heater, and since I installed it quite easy by myself on my caravan (old 16 feet Viscount) I just love using it. I sleep next to it, and, I hear it less than I did hear my electric, forced air heater. Cheap to run and very comfortable, and I payed just 150.00 AUD,with postage and handling free on the Ebay discount sale, some couple of months ago.

Don't run it inside bro...
Without a gas detector anyway....

Simmo said:
Opalian said:

Don't run it inside bro...
Without a gas detector anyway....

I'm going to be running mine outside, with a ducting coming inside.
It will do us for the shed, the camper trailer, even the roof top tent.

But I did buy one of these... CO is a silent killer...

1600929478_1.jpg

Have heard many positive reports about the advantages of diesel heaters in you caravan, especially when you are away from the grid.
Remote control so you can warm your van before kicking the doona off and springing out of bed for another day bliss on the the goldfields.
Thinking seriously about fitting one to our van in preparation for the 2022 season.
Would welcome the do's and don'ts and any help selecting the ideal make and model.

I got mine from Maryborough from Aussie outback store

https://aussieoutbackstore.com.au

Also watch this guys YouTube channel, theres about 18 videos on the Chinese diesel heaters, once you watch all these youll know the ins and outs of them and be confident in it.

https://youtube.com/user/johnmck1147

Only issue Ive had with mine was it started blowing black smoke, I just had to clean the air filter and spot on

Nightjar said:
Have heard many positive reports about the advantages of diesel heaters in you caravan, especially when you are away from the grid.
Remote control so you can warm your van before kicking the doona off and springing out of bed for another day bliss on the the goldfields.
Thinking seriously about fitting one to our van in preparation for the 2022 season.
Would welcome the do's and don'ts and any help selecting the ideal make and model.

You can buy an Exhaust extension so the Co2 does not stay under the Van so try and get one if you can, If not go to a Plumbing supplies and buy one of their Flexi Pipes that will do the job just as good, Ok. :Y: