Diesel heater for your caravan.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to move the main 135 AGM (bloody heavy) to the centre of the camper and have my electrics-the solar/inverter and 240 connections -taking the weight off the hitch, in the front toolbox.
Don't think i'll need a generator-but do have one.

shakergt said:
I'm thinking of setting a portable one up for the soft floor camper. Run the heating duct in through a zip that is wide enough

I got this one, that is already set up as a portable unit.
Bloody dear too!!!! :D ;) :playful:

1598856800_untitled.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/All-IN-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Thanks Guys for helping me spend more Money, the temptation was too Great and you blokes did bugger all to save me from my weakness,

"I do Love a Gadget in case you hadn't noticed" :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Jaros is the only one who tried to save me :trophy: :Y:

Seriously though at less than a 100 quid or less than $180.00 it was too good to pass up :Y: :perfect:

I just bought this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DFV8NFV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AYLLKFATUV10S&psc=1

Tathradj said:
Wonder what would happen if I made a small heat exchanger
for one.
One that will not block the air flow.
use it to heat water as well. :coffee:

Depending on the exhaust set up you could run the exhaust through the heat exchanger or extend the exhaust to wrap around it/through it. Or are there units already available with a hot water unit included, some times life is kept simple when we don't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Not sure is the "cheapies" have all the info in their instructions, but I would assume the specs and or limitations are similar. My Dometic gives a maximum length of combustion air intake and exhaust (including muffler) pipe length of 2 M. The following is an excerpt from the Dometic install doc.

Caution!
Safety instructions for the combustion air system!
The combustion air opening must be free at all times.
Position the combustion air intake to be sure that exhaust fumes cannot be sucked in with the combustion air.
Do not arrange the combustion air intake to pointing against the wind blast.
The combustion air intake must not get clogged with dirt and snow.
Install the combustion air intake system sloping slightly downwards. If necessary, make a drain hole approx. 5 mm at the lowest point to drain off condensation.

Last point would also apply to exhaust in my opinion.......

There is an air intake silencer as an option, but I used a plumbing gauze fitting and hose clamp, so grass and other solids including insects don't get in, without restricting airflow. I also use a bit of stainless scourer stuffed into the exhaust when the van isn't used. Wasps etc love to build nest in them. :)

condor22 said:
Wasps etc love to build nest in them. :)

Deviating from the heater installation but also important.
Filters from popup sprinklers are ideal for placing over the breathers on diesel tanks near the fillers on your 4WD.
If you leave them uncovered you can guarantee the pesky hornets will plug them up creating problems.

xcvator said:
When I mounted mine I didn't run the air intake to the outside, 1 less hole to drill, for the exhaust I drilled a hole about 15mm bigger than the exhaust pipe, centered it so it couldn't move much and filled the space around it with exhaust (heatproof) silicone.

It's probably a good idea to have the air intake outside the van.
That way you will be bringing in fresh air for the combustion chamber.

The heat exchanger pulls air from one side to the other, so that is recirculating the air inside the van. Giving the combustion chamber fresh air with more oxygen probably would be a better idea.

BTW anyone fitting these in a van should get a carbon monoxide alarm, they are cheap insurance.

No need for a carbon monoxide detector with these heaters. If it is leaking exhaust fumes, you'll know it, they stink. Carbon monoxide is generally generated by open flames, not from sealed internal combustion. No van van or camper is airtight so there is always a flow of fresh air

Jaros said:
Let's see how many RR gets..

LOL, well at the moment I doubt if mine is going to turn up, they sent the usual Amazon message saying it will be here on the 8th of sept and that was on the 1st of sept and then on the second they said they tried to deliver it, How the hell did they try to deliver it the next day seems to be bs to me, even more so when you consider that I have not been out of the house so that's LIE Number 1, so I looked deeper and it was somewhere in Germany but the seller has an address in china ???,

So far I am less than impressed with the lack of Tracking Info, I am thinking of cancelling it and making do with my little Gas heater It will run for 5.5 hours on 227g of Gas. and it is stored easily, And it uses the same Gas cans as my Stove and my Gas powered oven I bought last year, :inlove: :inlove: Love that thing, Cooks perfect Pie's and Pizza's :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

In tests I have seen These Diesel heaters put out less than 0.03g of CO2 So a Possum fart is going to do more damage, :Y: :perfect: :playful: :playful:

Diesel heater comes with a rubber gasket to seal the base of the heater so no fumes can get inside your RV.
Just remember to seal the baseplate to the flooring inside your RV, just normal sillicoon will do.

Well My Diesel Heater never turned up and DHL lied and said that it was delivered to me and I signed for it So I have been on to the seller and asked them for a refund and explained the whole mess to them, They have agreed to give me a refund So fingers crossed Ay,

Ridge Runner said:
Well My Diesel Heater never turned up and DHL lied and said that it was delivered to me and I signed for it So I have been on to the seller and asked them for a refund and explained the whole mess to them, They have agreed to give me a refund So fingers crossed Ay,

I know we are in a different country, but during the CovID19 period in Melbourne, I have had 5 parcel deliveries that required a signature, and they were just left either in the letterbox or at the front door. For only two of those left at a door did they ring the bell but they just dropped them and scarpered.

I think that they have been told by Australia Post or courier company that getting a signature is too high a risk. If we are paying more for the parcel security then they are ripping us off. Fortunately, my parcels have been left and I have cameras that recorded their delivery actions if followup was required.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
Ridge Runner said:

I know we are in a different country, but during the CovID19 period in Melbourne, I have had 5 parcel deliveries that required a signature, and they were just left either in the letterbox or at the front door. For only two of those left at a door did they ring the bell but they just dropped them and scarpered.

I think that they have been told by Australia Post or courier company that getting a signature is too high a risk. If we are paying more for the parcel security then they are ripping us off. Fortunately, my parcels have been left and I have cameras that recorded their delivery actions if followup was required.

Rob P.

Yeah it's pretty much the same here, In the past few years I have had so much trouble with DHL with similar claims by them saying I have singed for stuff, When I ordered my 78L ARB they went and picked it up from the Store and never signed the Stores Paper Work so I paid for a fridge and the Store knew they had sent it but they Did not know Who took it or where it was so I had to cancel the order while it was tracked down, I ended up getting it 8 weeks later, Another time I ordered a rare CD Box Set and they delivered it to the wrong address, Other times they have delivered my packages to Takeaway food Shops,

So as you can see this is not related to CV-19 because even when I tried to track the thing I saw it had been dispatched and the next day they claimed they had try to deliver it but the address they posted was in Germany and then for 6 day I got no updates and on the delivery date they said that I signed for it and they delivered it to my address which is impossible because I have been in lockdown since February the 22nd 2020,

The thing that annoys me most it you can't get them on the phone to find out what's going on, The only time you can get them on the phone is when you are getting them to pick up a package when you are going to pay them money to deliver it, Other than that if you are the person waiting for a package then ya ****ed,

I never have this problems with the smaller companies in fact most of the time they get my packages here too quick and catch me out, bless em, :Y:

I have an order due by tomorrow from QLD. it's going to my P.O. Box so hopefully...... :) The last tracking info showed Redbank QLD 6 days ago, so updates few n far between.

My wife posted a parcel from S.A. to VIC, complete with tracking number. The TN disappeared off Aust Post's web site 2 weeks ago when it went via Sydney. It arrived today 29 days after being posted. It wasn't express post, but hell i could have walked to Melbourne in that time, not that I would at this time, lol.

I'm not too bothered about having one because my Sleeping Bag would keep you alive at the South Pole being a Twin Bag System and having Fleece lining on parts of it gives me about 9 different options how I use it and I can also add another Sleeping Bag to it if it gets too cold which is never going to happen, It's 100% waterproof as well, and I have other heating systems at hand via Gas and Electric the cold won't be an issue plus when cooking in the van will warm the place up and the conversion came with 8mm thick felt curtains so no cold air will come through the windows, plus I am going to add an Aluminium Thermal backing to all the windows,