Detecting Hillend

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so today I have searched the internet for hours trying to find info/forums/some sort of help for decent detecting locations at hillend.
I am camping at hillend on the weekend and would like to give my sd2100 a good work out.
can anyone spare some info on locations for me pretty plz.
I can seem to find anything on this world wide web of ours

good luck with that

Hill End has had alot of locals who detect full time over the years with machines that go deeper than your SD , i have put many days there where i have dug nothing but bullets and other junk for nil gold too but you might find some ground that wasnt smashed 50 times over.

:8

HeadsUp said:
good luck with that

Hill End has had alot of locals who detect full time over the years with machines that go deeper than your SD , i have put many days there where i have dug nothing but bullets and other junk for nil gold too but you might find some ground that wasnt smashed 50 times over.

thanx mate

Get a copy of Doug Stones Hill End map:
http://www.minersden.com.au/hill-end-goldfields-map-doug-stone/
It won't put gold under your coil but will give you an idea of areas that you can detect & expand out from as you go.
There's also some old maps available like:
http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/geoproducts/details?editionid=575&productid=471
Same thing - start with the green shaded areas & expand out from there as you go, once you get a better idea of the area etc.
Just keep in mind the Village & a few other historical sites outside of the village (signposted) are off limits as well as a few mining leases but there is plenty of ground out there in the common & at Tambaroora.
Have you put up a "shout out" on here for anyone local that might be able to give you a hand? I'm about a month or so away from getting back out there or I'd try to catch up & help you myself (or some might say hinder :lol: ).
Sorry for the links :eek:

HeadsUp said:
good luck with that

True but there's still gold out there - deep & shallow. Seen a nice nugget last year found with a VLF right near the capital city of bullets out there ;)

Reeko found some really nice nugs there a couple of months back with his SD2200D, even managed a tiny one for myself from Wally69's spot. :D

Ben, you need be able to handle coming home empty handed- that's just the way it will be while you're still new and using an older p.i
I spent probably 40-60 hours coil on the ground time before I plucked one from there.
Learning your machine is what you should be focusing on

If you NEED to have yellow each time, take up panning or borrow an sdc ;)

AussieGamer_Ben said:
ok so today I have searched the internet for hours trying to find info/forums/some sort of help for decent detecting locations at hillend.
I am camping at hillend on the weekend and would like to give my sd2100 a good work out.

Area just outside hill end called the golden gully. Amazing place just to see. Well known spot for finding gold.

Cheers

Reeks said:
Ben, you need be able to handle coming home empty handed- that's just the way it will be while you're still new and using an older p.i
I spent probably 40-60 hours coil on the ground time before I plucked one from there.
Learning your machine is what you should be focusing on

If you NEED to have yellow each time, take up panning or borrow an sdc ;)

yeah mate I can handle it. its all in the fun of the hobby isn't it. im panning aswell and having some pretty good luck.
im just curious as to where I can go detecting. im just trying to get info.

eadesy77 said:
AussieGamer_Ben said:

Area just outside hill end called the golden gully. Amazing place just to see. Well known spot for finding gold.

Cheers
Golden Gully stretches from Red Hill at Tambaroora thru to near Hill End Village. There is a NP historical site in it where the Golden Gully walking track & Golden Gully Arch is that is off limits. Down towards Tambaroora has easy access along it & back towards Hill End there are more private properties, some mining leases etc.
I'd like a dollar for every gram of gold that's ever come out of it.

AussieGamer_Ben said:

Hi mate. How did you go out there? Did you end up finding any yellow?