Detecting at old Victorian railway stations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Are holders of a miner's right allowed to prospect at old disused railway station sites like Yering station near Coldstream?

Thanks Peter

Hi pberrett,

Sounds like that you're going after Relics and not Gems and Gold and in that case the Miners Right is not the main determining factor. Whether going after Relics or Gold access would depend entirely on the land status, whether it's private owned or crown land and if the latter is it reserved or leased. If it's unreserved crown land you are pretty much clear to go on there. It not necessary to carry your Miners Right in this case although if you searching for Relics on a goldfield I'd carry your Miners Right. The GEOVIC map site http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=geovic will show what the land status is for you area of interest. Get intimate with this tool it's a goldmine of information. Good luck.

casper

Hi Peter,

Looks like that the old railway station is now on privately owned land (the beige coloured parts on the map) so you will have to ask permission to enter onto the site.

1389131560_picture_6.jpg

Thanks for that

I looked at Geovic and when I used your settings and looked at the existing railways eg Lilydale they come up beige as well but they are clearly not in private hands.

Also if you look at Street View you will see that the station is unfenced and very accessible.

I would be surprised if the railways has sold off the land.

cheers Peter

How do I find out who owns a parcel of land or building?

VicTrack is responsible for managing over 1,800 tenancies across Victoria. These include commercial, retail and industrial sites but also important heritage buildings and some 800 land parcels for use as neghbourhood parkland. To enquire about a specific site, please contact VicTrack Property on (03) 9619 8889.

thanks loamer - "the penny has dropped" 8) .......since privatisation by the government years ago the various railway entities are now enterprises or corporations aren't they so the trackways etc no longer show as reserved or crown land although oddly there a few exceptions such as there are a number of stretches of the Frankston Stony Point Railway including a section opposite my home that are still listed as crown land.

casper

You have tweeked my interest though from a purely historical interest - I shall leave the detecting to you!! ;) . There are lots of old, disused and demolished stations on the goldfields (Dunolly, Tarnagulla to name a few). The good thing is they are making a comeback (Talbot etc) for passenger services.

Thanks

I have sent an email to Victrack to get written confirmation. Better to be safe than sorry.

Many old railways have been turned into bike trails and are now managed by Parks Victoria so one has to be careful about where one goes metal detecting.

Another place I want to go coin shooting is Kilcunda beach. Last Sunday I took my new Aldi metal detector and I went looking on Edithvale beach but found nothing on the beach itself. I did find $3 on the paths leading down to the beach however which makes me think that the local council probably sweeps out all the coins, needles etc with machinery. The paths don't get touched however.

I'm think Kilcunda would be good because its inaccessible for machinery of this kind. The issue however is that the Kilcunda Reserve starts near there and Parks Victoria don't allow metal detecting in that reserve. One map i have seen says Kilcunda beach is part of the reserve and another I have seen suggests that it starts to the east of town. I have sent an email to Parks Victoria for clarification.

Anyone here run a detector down there at all?

cheers Peter

Latest posts