Cunningham gap vs the Toowoomba range

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone... heading out west again with van in tow... from the gold coast... i was thinking last night about which way i was going to go...up through the Cunningham gap towards Warrick way...or up the range to Toowoomba... which would be easier on the poor old ba falcon towing the van and if there are any stops half way up...i can't remember.??.dave

Hey Gassman, If the new Toowoomba Range Crossing is open when you go, the that would be the easiest. Will cost you a couple of bucks, but you'd probably save that in fuel. The current Toowoomba Range Crossing is quite step and has a nasty pinch just before the top. Cunningham's is maybe a bit easier but check if the new crossing is open. And don't recall any stops half way up.

I think they are about the same, like Phoenix76 says Cunningham's has that steep bit just before the top, where it goes to 1 lane.

Yeah...i know Cunninghams is a longer run up to the gap...and going up to Toowoomba is a shorter run but quite steep to the top...i forgot they were building the new road up there...???

Just had a look...it seems like the new road won't be open till this time next month...???

Jaros, if a truck is in the right gear, it won't need it's brakes, they use an engine brake, which, if in the right gear will hold it at a slow, steady speed.
:Y:

Cunningham for me... It's a shorter climb, but just after Aratula(before the climb), there is about 8km of really bumpy and humpy section caused by trucks..... Time your run up and it will be over before you know it.... There are areas to pull over but you have to cross the road to get to them....

LW.....

It is a very interesting subject actually... some of the road to get up and down the dividing range...mt Morgan used to be a goat track....and coming down into Coffs was always a challenge.... driving from Cairns up to karrara is interesting too... :inlove:... Cunningham is is probably the way...to go...as lonewolf ? sed it's lumpy n bumpy either way

So up and over the range we went... Cunningham gap...easy as ...glad i didn't go up the Toowoomba range...now in Chinchilla. Thanks for all the advice. Guys ...girls... Dave.... :cool:

Latest posts