CTX3030 or ETRAC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick1169

MICHAEL DE VRIES
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking to upgrade from my Xterra 705 & am unsure which to get ? I like the waterproof of the ctx but think it may be to complicated & is it worth the extra coin ?? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi,

You will get a few responses and different views. I have over 1400 hours using the Etrac and a few hundred already on the 3030. If you beach hunt a bit get the 3030. If you only relic/coin hunt get the 3030. Now the big question is it worth it? if you are a very serious hunter that spends a bit of time at this hobby yes it is. If you only use it from time to time and most likely will quit the hobby in a year or so go the lesser price. I don't use the GPS or really don't need the waterproofing feature but I'm a big relic hunter and the 3030 gives me that slight edge. I've had my 3030 since Jan this years and already have it 3/4 paid off.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with either. In the less trashy sites I find them about the same. In heavy ferrous sites the 3030's faster processor will sort out the copper and brass where on the Etrac it will sounds like 'popcorn' at times. You already have a Minelab 705 so the transition will not be too bad for either one.

The 3030 was designed to be ran straight from the box on the pre programmed settings so don't worry about it being too complicated. I would run with these until you gain more confidence and experience and can customise it to its full potential.

Good luck and kept detecting.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

Hi Mick1169

I have an X-Terra 705 also. Great little machine. Just upgraded to a CTX3030 (kept the 705).
Still learning the CTX. Big jump up in design and settings, but I am finding that familiarity from
using the 705 is helping understand the terminology and applications in the CTX (well sort of).
Dutchy's comments are spot on. Will be interested to see what you decide on.

Cheers Monty

>if you want a tones only machine get the Minelab Excalibur II
>if you want a machine that gives you more information get the ctx3030/e-trac
cant go wrong with any of these vlf metal detectors for the beach, there all easy to master.

There is no difference in learning the CTX or E-TRAC, and in fact if anything, the CTX menu makes more sense and is easier to navigate.

A few key differences to me in favour of the CTX

1 - pin-point (and back) button - just makes everything so much quicker
2 - target trace
3 - wireless module - never have to worry about broken headphone leads
4 - far better balance. The CTX armrest and handle also feel much better
5 - being able to just hose it down after a beach hunt is great
6 - The semi-auto ground balance
7 - Combine, and being able to set whatever tone you want for different targets!

yeh phase tech good point, but in the e-trac's favour is that you have alot of coils to pick from which is a key difference between the 2 detectors.In my books id rather have better coil selection on my detector than all those bells and whisles the ctx has.4 coils just aint cutting it imo.
minelab e-trac for the win! and you gotta a grand left over to spend on extras.

Some good points there guys that is for sure. How about in the rain will an e-trac handle some rain with a cover? The waterproof thing sort of worries me a bit. I like the coil option for the e-trac as well. Still am undecided. Probably a bit worried about spending all the money !

The control box covers work well in light rain just make shaw to have a spare plastic bag in your pocket so when it starts to pour down just cover it and run for shelter.I had payed off my e-trac in 3 months after geting the detector so do not worry about the money mick its a silver and gold magnet.BTW the minelab e-trac is one heavy duty machine i have punished my detector & coil and it still runs like new, even after 14 months of every day use.(like 10 hours a day on the wet sand on low spots on gold coast beaches)

If your serious about metal detecting get the e-trac you can upgrade to the ctx 3030 later,but if your not sure about it just get a cheaper detector like the AT-pro or X-TERRA 705.Personaly i would get a FBS detector cause they get results you just need to look at all the forums and the finds being posted most are e-trac and ctx gold/silver finds. ;)

Latest posts