Crystal fossicking Nundle NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad1981

Mick
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done any other fossicking at Nundle other than gold.
When I was younger I went there with the Muswellbrook fossicking club and we bug out a lot of quarts crystals.
Has anyone done any good there with any other gems etc.

I've found a few quartz crystals and some other small coloured stones at Nundle myself, but to be honest I wasn't really looking for anything other than gold. Only recently have I started getting interested in the gem side of things and often wondering what I might have missed by not looking.

Some of the gems that are known to be found at Nundle include Zircon, Sapphire, Ruby, large Quartz Crystals, Prase, Nephrite Jade, and translucent Serpentinite.

I'm heading there again either this weekend or the next, so I'm hoping to come home with a nice mixture of colour. A man can dream cant he :lol:

Nugget.

I read somewhere recently, maybe here, that he got busted dredging and
fined big time. Could be wrong but I'm sure I read it recently.

Check out Zircon Gully up near Hanging Rock, a local Police Officer told us about it a few months back.

Hanging Rock
Beyond Two Mile Walk the road winds its way steeply, past old mullock heaps where the hillside was overturned in search of gold, to the top of the mountain range (1100 m above sea-level) where the massive treeless rock face of Hanging Rock looms overhead. Once you have ascended the plateau (about 11 km from Nundle) there are two branch roads almost directly opposite each other. Lookout Road on the right leads to the rock itself where there is a scenic vantage point with excellent views of the chasm and the valley below.

The road on the left is signposted to Ponderosa Forest Park where there are walking trails, possibilities for overnight camping and all appropriate facilities. It also leads through the Zircon Gully Fossicking Area.

If you continue along the main road past either of these branch roads you will soon pass through the village of Hanging Rock where a side road on the right leads 200 m to 'Barrakee' where you can obtain local tourist information and fossicking directions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-factsheet/nundle-20081113-5yw1.html#ixzz2Wo0qB5n6

Nugget.

when it warms up I think I might have to go check it out a bit more been about 15 years since I was there last.

watched the video from wal and liz at nundle and would love to take the kids there, plus i love camping at sheba dam and want to try my luck panning for some gold as well.

You turn onto the road up to the lookout. Its a few hundred metres and the diggings are on the right. Theres a spot to park and you head downhill . Tourist info will give you a map and great advice.
Good luck

Hi guys

The weather is looking quite poor this weekend, so I think our plans to go back to vulcan are going to be put on hold.

We coincidentally had vague plans to visit nundle SF next weekend.

Anyone had any luck in the area recently??

Thanks

Emily

Latest posts