Crevicing fine gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday

Couple of questions about crevicing,

With fine gold is it better to crevice further up stream as far as possible or further downstream?

The creeks I'm crevicing are dry ATM and have small flow in the wet season and maybe as wide as a lane of traffic when it rains heavy.

Also should I pick bedrock at the beginning of a slow zone or the the end of it? Ie where e big rocks drop out? :8

Simmo said:
All of the above mate, all of the above!!
Your're on to it!

Thanks Simmo

I though I asked but I didn't, how much lee way on angle to flow? Is 30degrees off still gonna catch gold?

I'd start with 1" drop for every foot of sluice lenght, about 1" of water over the top of the riffles, chuck a bit of material in and look at the way it's acting behind the riffle.
If material is swirling and dancing before slowly clearing run some more if not add some flow, if you can't add any more flow give it a touch more angle, too much angle will just blow every thing out as you won't get the vortex needed for the gold to drop out, too much flow and your material will basically bounce straight over the riffles.
Hope this helps
Cheers D.H

Digginholes said:
I'd start with 1" drop for every foot of sluice lenght, about 1" of water over the top of the riffles, chuck a bit of material in and look at the way it's acting behind the riffle.
If material is swirling and dancing before slowly clearing run some more if not add some flow, if you can't add any more flow give it a touch more angle, too much angle will just blow every thing out as you won't get the vortex needed for the gold to drop out, too much flow and your material will basically bounce straight over the riffles.
Hope this helps
Cheers D.H

Thanks for the sluicing tip mate I was going to ask that at some point.

However I'm asking about how much of an angle can a crevice be to river flow and still catch gold. ;)

Bluemeaway said:
However I'm asking about how much of an angle can a crevice be to river flow and still catch gold. ;)

Even crevices parallel to stream flow can catch gold if they have a bottom that is conducive to trapping gold. Any crevice, even one which is perpendicular to stream flow, that has a smooth bottom is not likely to trap gold.

I once extracted 9 nice little pickers from a single small longitudinal bedrock crevice about 30cm in length.

mdv said:
Bluemeaway said:

Even crevices parallel to stream flow can catch gold if they have a bottom that is conducive to trapping gold. Any crevice, even one which is perpendicular to stream flow, that has a smooth bottom is not likely to trap gold.

I once extracted 9 nice little pickers from a single small longitudinal bedrock crevice about 30cm in length.

I bet ppl just walked right on by thinking 'thats with the water flow, not going to waist my time' then you come along after 200yrs and thanks for coming :p

GaryO said:
Bluemeaway said:
Simmo said:
All of the above mate, all of the above!!
Your're on to it!

Thanks Simmo

I though I asked but I didn't, how much lee way on angle to flow? Is 30degrees of onna catch gold?

As mentioned , gold can be in any crevice even parallel ones . The start of a parallel crevice may have a sharp drop into it so the flow can run over the top of that section for instance . Or that long parallel crevice may have a deeper pocket somewhere along its length that you cant see until you clean it out . So pick a spot and clean out and test all off them regardless of direction and u can be 100% you have found what ever is hiding .

Gaz

Latest posts