converting whites DD coil to GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dose anyone know if you can convert a whites GMT coil to suit a gpx: ie: changing the plug configuration over and how to do it.I'm not to sure on the wire pattern. thanks

I think I should be able to cut the plug off and put a gpx plug on .never cut a cord of so not to sure whats going on in there and how many wires there are.any ideas? :/

Hi Kman,

For a start, you will need to measure the resistance and inductance of the transmit coil. It needs to be around 300uh and .4 ohms. I suspect the resistance on the gmt will be higher.

AuMan

Keep an eye on eBay as there is always Minelab coils going cheep! people don't even clean them and they sell for $50! Get them home and scrub them with a soapy-steel wool and they look new.

I have a Commander 10"x5" DD genuine Minelab. Paid $235 used it once then sold the 5000. I'll post it for $180

All good guys thanks for the offers.I was just trying to think of a use for my spare coil.I wondered if I could have changed it over so it wasn't wasting away at the back of the cupboard. I might sell it off to give someone else the ability to use it.I can't see the point in having two identical coils thanks all.

Out of curiosity is this even possible? Vlf conversion to pi? I first read this and thought it's like 3 phase and 240v but perhaps it's more like fitting a Ford engine in a Holden? Greater minds than mine are needed here.

My thoughts exactly goldtarget.at first I thought it was impossible but the more I thought about it the possibility seemed plausible.not coming from a electrical background I thought it was worth raising the question to more knowledgeable forum members

Even the White's PI coils are not compatible with Minelab PI detectors. Minelab DD coils don't work with White's SPP detectors. As someone stated before the resistance and inductance is different.
Is it possible to convert.? Well almost everything is possible. Rip the coil apart and rewire it with same diameter and length of wire that same size Minelab coil is using. And it may work. But you may be better off, building whole coil from the scratch
Karl

Latest posts