Committee puzzled by mysterious holes - Glengarry Recreation Reserve

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if we had some really good pics of the holes, we are all familiar with digging them and what they look like in different soil types,
and at different angles.

May be some guy with a detector.

May be a Golfer.

May be a kid with a Go Pro.

But this could also be the possible job done to find those those bloody fat white lawn grubs that eat the roots of grass, and they are everywhere.
So I would not put it past one of those Australian dirt digging grub eating animals to put little pot holes into a nice oval turf and not fill it in again.
I guess they would be random in hole digging, dig shallow to the roots and move around the edge trying for the best position.

Does that area have those types of animals in it ?

BUT I also know that DOGS can be hole diggers to, we are babysitting Kato's boyfriends dog and she is a digger, doesnt get off the lead much or out much,
but on a good patch of grass she will dig holes after a smell she has found, same as on a beach.
Of course we stopped the dog from doing it, but....

Picks leave a small cap of grass and usually a pile of dirt to one side - we all have done that.

I just think that maybe there is a case for both possibilities and maybe they need to mount a camera to see what the 'root' cause of the damage may be.
Before we all blame each other and cause unhappy emotions.

My 2c

Kato and I dig even in Parks lands in front of Council grounds people, complimented and never told off, never any holes or even visible scars.
They have no issue with us. you may be surprised where we can dig these days.
But we do come across digs that clearly have been other detectors, without the tools or skills, we find their targets about 30% of the time in the hole left behind,
which we fill anyway. Another reason the Council Parks guys(and girls) have no issue with us.

AngerManagement said:
Problem is that if a skilled Detecting person came along and confirmed it was a d@#khead detectorist, many would still be OK with it.....
Problem is that if a skilled Detecting person came along and confirmed it was a d@#khead detectorist, many would still blame, greenies or bandicoots or aliens or spontanious natural ground eruptions or volcanic farts

Na your right MT it's got to be a detectorist....They are to blame for every hole around our local parks.. :(

nah...could be something else...but most likely it's a dickhead detectorist :D

Could it be a Green-voting, Bandicoot with a detector??

First thing I thought when I saw the photo was I don't think I've ever seen a detecting hole yet with Soil all around it. Although I do sometimes keep topsoil in one pile and Clay/rock in another if possible, just so as whatever grows in the area can keep doing so. Seems a lot of effort they've gone to if is a detectorist just for some footy boot stops

I bet you my short and curlies it was truffle hunters

1565157359_c21bc35a390f4acbee99be2f0d86ef700e97bc4e61d8c3a5aaffacb1d58797db.jpg

Shifty buggers

and on the truffle forum they're all in denial blaming bandicoots

Please lord...when I die don't reincarnate me as a bandicoot, poor bastards cop the blame for everything...thank christ nobody spotted a hole on the grassy knoll.

Latest posts