Coin Collection

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiron52

Dave
Reaction score
My mother passed away some years ago and I ended up with her coin collection.
I'm not really interested in coins but thought I'd have a look at them today as I'm getting my will updated.
As yet, I haven't decided what I want to do with them.
There are also a few dozen foreign coins in her collection too.
Anyway, here are the Aussie pre-decimal coins she. (Please excuse my poor photography)

PENNY -

1557381751_penny_1.jpg

HALF-PENNY AND OTHERS -

1557381823_half_penny.jpg

Please note the coins have not been cleaned and are just as I found them.

Coin collectors usually like them left with patina om them. If you don't intend selling them I suppose you can do what you like. The crowns should be worth something there was also another year other than 1937 (someone better informed will tell you) , one of them is worth a lot more than the other?? Save them for grandkids then you have to make decision.

I'm guessing these are Indonesian pre independance coins.
On one side it states - Nederlandsch Indie (Dutch Indies?)
Other sides 1/10G (1941), 1/4G(1941), 1/4G(1941) and 1G(1942) for the copper coin.

1557384451_guilders.jpg

Nice collection and x 4 for leaving the natural patina.

Have you got a better shot of the 1904 Florin, looks like it might actually be a half crown?

Chiron52 said:
And this one I'm guessing is French.
One side reads - Liberte.Egalite Fraternite, 10Cmes, 1936.
The other RF (the letter R a hole in the center and then the letter F)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10176/1557386599_10cb.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10176/1557386614_10ca.jpg

Kato has found about 7 of those same French coins here in Adelaide in a large well known Park.

Same value and same year range, 1/2 were in a patch, and the others were also in a patch about 300m away in the same Park.

I wonder if they were accepted as currency in Aus after WW2 ? I heard something along that line.

ChrisD said:
Nice collection and x 4 for leaving the natural patina.

Have you got a better shot of the 1904 Florin, looks like it might actually be a half crown?

It's very worn and took a bit study with my old eyes and a very strong magnifying glass.
But you are correct Chris .... it is a half crown.

HoudiniHarry said:
dont sell them if you dont have to. pass them on to family . your mum valued the coins so you need to look after them

cheers hh

Hi HH,
Just updating my will and was thinking what I should do with them.
I have them in my possession along with other items not included in her will when she passed.
I shall have to ask my brother and sister what we should do with them.
Cheers.

Chiron52 said:
My mother passed away some years ago and I ended up with her coin collection.
I'm not really interested in coins but thought I'd have a look at them today as I'm getting my will updated.
As yet, I haven't decided what I want to do with them.
There are also a few dozen foreign coins in her collection too.
Anyway, here are the Aussie pre-decimal coins she. (Please excuse my poor photography)

PENNY -

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10176/1557381751_penny_1.jpg

HALF-PENNY AND OTHERS -

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10176/1557381823_half_penny.jpg

Please note the coins have not been cleaned and are just as I found them.

You sure do have a nice collection there, I have found many of those year dates, but you have some coins I really hope to find one day.

WalkaboutOz said:
You sure do have a nice collection there, I have found many of those year dates, but you have some coins I really hope to find one day.

Hi Walkabout,
Keep hunting mate. You'll find 'em eventually.
But not too soon I hope ....... would ruin a great hobby, if there's nothing left you still needed to find.
Cheers.

Latest posts