Coils for SD2200

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday everyone went to the shop today but he didnt recommend the 25 dd coil

He said to go the either 24x12 evo or I saw a 19inch evo

Both mono coils

What would you chose for the sd2200?

I put a deposit but can always change my mind

Before buying a mono coil for the SD2200D I'd recommend trying one in your area first or spend some more time getting used to the detector with the coil you already have. Some shops will have a coil or coils you can try.
The 14" DD will punch plenty deep enough & is a good allround size. Yes you might miss some gold (0.5 gram or smaller) but the SD2200D is known for it's deep gold ability not so much subgram gold abilities. I have found gold down to around 0.2 gram with the SD2200D though using an 11" DD.
Mono coils will work but DD's will be smoother on the SD2200D.
I used to run an Advantage 14x7 mono coil on my SD2200D but only in milder areas.
The new spiral wound coils can be a bit more difficult to get used to in mineralised ground too & some have issues in mineralised areas even on newer machines like GPX's. These coils (Evo, Elite, Detech Ultra) are IMO made with the GPX smooth class of timings in mind. They are very good coils but I'm not so sure they'd be a good match on SD series machines?

With the standard 2200 and mono coils, if the ground you are working is variable, then you will most likely have a difficult time as you will be forever re-balancing the detector and questioning if it is a target or another ground noise. Also in some really hot areas, you might not even be able to ground balance the coil all the way to the ground.

If the ground is mild/uniform, the a mono coil will give really good depth and be very usable.

It's all about using the correct tool for the job.
If you want sensitivity to small gold, you will need a small coil and the ground you are working needs to be shallow. The severity of that ground will determine if you can use a mono coil.
On the flip side, if you are searching for bigger deep nuggets, you need a big coil, the ground will be deeper so there won't be the smaller bits right near the surface anyway.

If you want great sensitivity and depth all in one coil, buy a GPZ.

Cheers Mick

Latest posts