Coil skid plates/covers - to use, or not to use!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Hi guys, there hasn't been much talk on skid plates or coil covers as of late, but generally I am a fan of using them on my coils, to protect them from the odd knock, and general wear on most of my detectors. Some people don't like them under the theory that they reduce sensitivity, but in my view, it shouldn't really affect the detector's operation, and has far more value in protecting your gear.

In saying that, I have coil covers for most of my Ace coils, bar the large 8.5 x 11" DD coil, which I have simply not gotten around to purchasing (came with the detector in a worn state). As a result, and just to show you what happens when significant wear occurs to coils (especially for scrubbers), the epoxy has started to break up, with cracking and portions of epoxy missing - see photo.
The layer covering the coil windings has also been breached, so no more detecting for this coil, until I get around to re-sealing the coil with marine epoxy, and a new coil cover to extend its life. ;)

I still think coil covers, or skid plates should come with every coil sold, whether it be a seperately bought coil, or included with a detector purchase. In my opinion, they really are sold at over-inflated prices as an accessory, obviously a money maker for manufacturers, but bit like selling a shoe with no sole.

Another cheap option that has been documented on other forums, is to use a spray pack of rubberised undercoating to form a protective layer over the epoxy. From all reports, this seems to last a fair while and is reasonably hardy, of course longevity will come down to what surfaces are detected on. Another advantage is no more sand, soil, or metallic fragments getting caught in the coil cover. :)

1399636878_img_20140509_205939.jpg

1399636895_img_20140509_205916.jpg

1399636920_img_20140509_212502.jpg

Great post Goldpick, my underwater detectors coil is noisy as and armed with your info I'm now considering opening it up and fixing the broken connection that's obviously creating all of the noises that I'm hearing. It was the resealing that was putting me off, but thanks to your Marine Resin I recon I'll be game to tackle it now.

My 8" infinium mono coil has also developed a couple of cracks in it, so it will be next in line. :)

I googled rubberized undercoating and found 3m rubberized undercoating for two different prices for the same can 1st $77.88, 2nd $9.99. so I see it obviously pays to shop around when looking for some of these products, same type of differences with the marine epoxy resin.

The rubberised stuff I got was from Supercheap, and it definitely wasn't nearly $80, may as well buy coil covers if that was the case. :lol: I also heard that the Dynagrip stuff is no longer stocked, but may vary from store to store. Another thing to note, is you really need to tape up the coil, and also spray the sides to help protect against chipping the epoxy against objects. I've sprayed up the small concentric coil tonight, will wait till tomorrow to report on it when dry.

Once thing that impressed me about NEL and Coiltek, they both supply covers with all their coils, the way it should be. :)

Spraying first layers

1399641206_img_20140509_224402.jpg

Drying before attempting taping up and further coats on the coil sides

1399641280_img_20140509_224426.jpg

After a day or so, the rubberised coating has dried nice and hard, but as you can see from the bottom section of the coil, I got a bit over eager with the coating, causing bubbles and some small voids - hence the best practice is many light coatings, with say a day between coats. The top half turned out good, nice and smooth, but really needs a couple more coats for a decent amount of thickness, then I will tackle the sides and bottom edges. :)

1399798224_img_20140511_181642.jpg

A quick question Goldpick, do you think the rubberised coating will grab onto the ground and grass in a way that a slick-surfaced plastic plate might not?

The finish is quite hard, not rubbery like you would think, feels more like a plastic coating. Trick is to do multiple coats, drying between each, and the surface is quite smooth and slick. I mainly had the beach in mind with this sort of coating, so not sure how it would fare over rocky/dirt surface, seems fine on grass. It has already been proven to work on another forum at the beach, only requiring a recoat when at a minimal thickness after quite a few hunts.

Latest posts