Classifier Sieves information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay mickance, im not sure on whether they are imp/metric, but one of the sets i have has 3 sieves and they are orange 100 mesh green 50 mesh and red 30 mesh.

The 100 is very very fine,and ive never need anything smaller i think i paid around $70 for the set. Hope that helps

Can I ask a dumb question?
What are these fine mesh sieves used for? We're new to this game and our finest sieve is about 1/8" that we use for gemstones.

Moneybox said:
Can I ask a dumb question?
What are these fine mesh sieves used for? We're new to this game and our finest sieve is about 1/8" that we use for gemstones.

mostly for fine gold recovery mate, and the only dumb questions are those that were never asked :)

Thanks backcreek for the link, it is very useful info.
I find that an 1/8 inch is used for cons but you can get smaller if you are after the fine gold, as Ryan1981 has mentioned.

the sieve mesh size is measured in how many holes in it to the inch.. A number 50 mesh has 50 holes to the inch.. A number 30 sieve has 30 holes to the inch.. ect,ect.. one inch is aprox 25mm... :)

Hi again.
im keen to take my new sluice out this weekend only issue I have I cant find an answer on what size sieve I need to screen out the over size before running the material though the sluice. there is to many options on other websites..
any ideas guys?? 1/2 inch be okay or smaller or larger..

the sluice is about a 50 by 10 inch unit.

Thats a decent size sluice. Get your self a bucket sieve to speed things up other ways you spend all your time sieving. There is a tread about it in stickies.
I sometimes shovel straight in to my sluice. You will loose some gold at the end but you will process lot more material so you should end up with more gold.

There is a dismal lack of reasonably priced sieves on the Aussie market - as there are plenty of other things lacking at a reasonable price.
Anyway, does anyone have good ideas for inexpensive sieve stacks? By stacks, I mean methods to classify at least two grades at the same time - preferably three or four.
There are some nice looking machines out of China that can do this as a continuous process, but I don't have access to enough good material to justify buying one - I can barely get a couple of reasonable quality bucket loads in a morning or afternoon. So I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good idea for this, as I find classifying takes up a lot of time and trouble.
Cheers

you can make up your own sieves using wood frames,you at least get the dimensions and strength you want.

old pushbike rims can be used too.

that's what i'd be doing if I didn't have some commercial sieves already.

definately room in the market. :Y:

Yeah, I have a bit of an idea.
In the morning I'll be off to a local place where I think I can readily get various stainless meshes.
With a bit of luck I might be able to post pics of my idea a bit later :)

Thanks. I noticed those mentioned elsewhere but I want to go down to less than 1/50". Unfortunately it's hard to do that in one step as things get way too clogged-up.
Lately I've been shuffling numerous buckets and screens backwards and forwards all over the lawn, but it's just a matter of time till someone complains or my back starts getting silly.
They do have cheap buckets and excellent Willow garbo bins there though! The lids off the garbos are very handy!!!

:) Yes!!! I have one of those, but they bow upwards and not downwards so material collect around the edges. If my oven was big enough (I'm using a very small one) I would warm the plastic supports and bend them the other way! But, anyway I'm really looking at making a stack so I can do a few grades at the same time. Those things do have a lot of potential though. Plenty strong and quite deep - just that the mesh supports bow the wrong way and there's only one choice of mesh size - about 20?

Latest posts