Chooks eating gold!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkear

Geoff Mostyn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of many stories from other prospectors about gold occurrence some true, some ridiculous and others I just don't know.
I thought I might start a topic to get some feed back on one I heard about but have never been able to verify.
Its about chooks eating small gold nuggets thinking they are seeds and people finding them in their chook shed droppings.
Can anyone say whether they have had any experience of this?

Also remebering that one of the strangest places I have ever found a nugget was on an elevated totally flat rock on an animal path through a rocky ridge. Whether some animal had had a number twos on it and the organic stuff had disappeared I don't know but certainly wasn't a chook path.

Know of a bloke in Clermont who "feeds the chooks" with sub gramers before taking the unsuspecting for a swing :rolleyes:

A mate of mine dollied up a specie and after panning off he had about 4 oz of dollied gold in the pan. He put the pan on the back step to dry in the sun and went inside for a while. When he came back out the pan was empty and his ducks were looking sheepish. I expected he would have knocked off the ducks so I asked him how much of it he got back. Turns out he was renting this place and there were about 40 ducks there, and he couldn't tell which one(s) did the deed so he just just left it. It was a long time ago in Queensland and thinking about it now, if you knew the address, and with the gold price what it is, it would just about be payable to dry blow the old backyard...

If I had never read your post stingray
I would never have thought there was such a thing as duck diapers 😂

I have heard of many stories from other prospectors about gold occurrence some true, some ridiculous and others I just don't know.
I thought I might start a topic to get some feed back on one I heard about but have never been able to verify.
Its about chooks eating small gold nuggets thinking they are seeds and people finding them in their chook shed droppings.
Can anyone say whether they have had any experience of this?
Plenty of newspaper reports on this and some sound pretty reliable.

Also remebering that one of the strangest places I have ever found a nugget was on an elevated totally flat rock on an animal path through a rocky ridge. Whether some animal had had a number twos on it and the organic stuff had disappeared I don't know but certainly wasn't a chook path.
There are reliable accounts of nuggets and specimens at old aboriginal campfire sites, some of the nuggets ranging up to 100s of ounces and too heavy for any animal, far from any possible gold source area (Boort, Watchem)

Like pigeon racing where they now use a magnetic loop scanner,like the airport metal detectors ,that register the race pigeon as they enter the race loft on return from a race. The birds have little metal NFC devices that trigger the electronic clock to record time of entry. For chooks any metal they eat can be detected as they renter the cage at night to roost. What a great business idea! Chook detector Co.Inc.
What say you folks?

of course its true chooks eat gold.. I thought this was common knowledge
I'll confirm another true myth, crows storing nuggets in their nests
I've personally seen both! There's a photo of a nugget and half sovereign in my hand on this forum.. that nugget came from a crows nest!
There's a few other native's that like gold too

Last edited:
We often get aluminium foil in cow dung and on one occasion I found a small gold nugget in one. I doubt they intentionally eat metal but they pull up the grass and the aluminium left behind by careless campers and prospectors must go down too. Some people have a bad habit of throwing their aluminium cans in the fire and the result is very light fragments of aluminium scattered far and wide by the wind and water.

That's where you are wrong goldierocks.
I have it on good authority that this goose identifies as a chicken.
Still looks a strange chicken to me - or shouldn't one use an anatomical description when classifying birds? Problem is my formal background in taxonomy. It is allowed to think it is whatever it chooses to be so far as I am concerned, I meant no offence.

I recently killed and dressed a Duck for eating.
Upon cleaning out the stone bag, I found it contained what was left of a 5c coin. Very thin with most of both sides disolved. Didnt think to check for Gold

Latest posts