Change.org Petition For QLD Fossickers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(And it certainly does a lot more harm to the environment as compared to say, the coal seem gas exploration happening in QLD )
Less harm might sound better len haha

Ok here is revised one, I think it sounds good, get's the point across.

For a long time now fossickers and prospectors in QLD have faced draconian and inequitable laws when it comes to our hobby.

The laws will not let us use highbankers, (sluices and hopper with motor to pump water), other states can use virtually whatever they like within certain guidelines of course, some do have their own restrictions, to get into the whole list of laws is not appropriate for this forum. QLD laws state that we cannot use any mechanical means, i.e. not petrol motors to pump the water, not even a 12v battery, all has to be hand done.

So we're asking the Honorable Dr Anthony Lynham MP to hear our requests to open up more area's for us, to allow us to use a Highbanker, i.e. mechanical means. To use a motorized pump either petrol or 12v battery in QLD.

We here in QLD, have very limited area's to fossick/prospect, there is nothing around Brisbane, the local govt's have closed off area's like Gold Creek, Burpengary Creek, Enoggera Creek. Whereas in states like Vic, NSW, WA, and SA, they have far more access to area's then we do here in QLD.

For instance to get anywhere from Brisbane to go and have a fossick, the closest is Gympie, 1 1/2 hours away, the next closest is Warwick some 2 1/2 hours away.

The area is restricted in Gympie around Deep Creek, they have yellow posts where you can't go past up from the creek, meaning the whole area has been inundated with people fossicking the area. I have contacted the Premiers office and was sent to the Mining and Resources office, because I was asking for the total amount of registered fossickers and prospectors here in QLD. The reply, was, and you wont' believe this, they had 'NONE' yes NONE. The excuse was that they have outlets all over QLD collecting money for the licenses, like the information center at Gympie.

So the question is, where is all the money going then?

We here in QLD are being victimized severely in regard to fees and area's to fossick and tools that we can use. The harsh system that has been imposed on QLD fossickes is Non- Australian and needs to change.

All we want is more area's to fossick and enjoy our hobby, and pay a fee that is relevant to the accessibility for us all. We call for relativity.

QLD Fossicking Licenses

1 month Individual$7.50 no GST applicable

Family $10.80 no GST applicable NA

6 months

Individual $28.50 no GST applicable

Family $36.60 no GST applicable

1 year

Individual $47.90 no GST applicable

Family$64.10 no GST applicable

Vic Licenses

A miners right valid for 10 years can be purchased for $17.70.

NSW:

You can apply for a 12-month state-wide permit from Forestry Corporation online for $27.50 including GST. This allows small-scale fossicking for recreational, tourism or educational purposes in State forests.

A single permit may cover a family group with a maximum of 5 people covered by a permit (2 adults and 3 children under 18 years of age).

WA:

$25 FOR LIFE....get that for LIFE. We pay $2.00 more just for 6 lousy months. Tell me this if fair!

SA...NONE. They can basically go anywhere but for private land they have to get permission, this is the case in most states and is the way it should be.

Small time fossickers only dig a hole and pan it looking for some color, most fossickers are respectable people and have a healthy respect for the environment and strive at all times to keep area's neat and tidy.

Then there is the other side of mining as well...

This hobby is great to tourism in the various area's, whether it by Gympie, Warwick and other QLD sites. It is great fun for families as you can see in the picture, it's a healthy outdoor activity with some exercise involved, good to get our Children out and learning the history of an era that forged this nation, and get them away from being stuck in front of the computer all day.

And it certainly does a lot less harm to the environment as compared to say, the coal seem gas exploration happening in QLD at the moment, set to decimate local farmers and their livelihood. Or some of the overseas multi corporations who want to mine in QLD in a large capacity, like the proposed Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail Project which will be an Open-cut and underground coal mine with a yield of 60 million tonnes per annum and a 189-kilometre railway line. By the Adani Mining Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of India's Adani Group.

If these applications get approved, how much damage are they going to do to the environment compared to the week-end prospector?

By the way, I asked the Govt for the total ares set aside in QLD for fossicking and they can't or won't give me that either, been passed from pillar to post to Freedom Of Information, they said to try the QLD dept of mineral and resources, they are the one's who sent me to the FOI in the first place. I'm not playing that game.

Just found out apparently

Please help us get some equity and a level playing field here in QLD so that we don't feel like a minority carrying the most draconian treatment of honest good hard working Queenslanders whose hobby happens to be going for a dig, have a pan and hopefully find some gold or gems.

Thank You For Your Support

Kind Regards

Len Cecchetto

Mate,
In the section below I would change "inequitable" to Restrictive.
"For a long time now fossickers and prospectors in QLD have faced draconian and inequitable laws when it comes to our hobby"

You need to be very clear that you seek to use pumps "Only as a means of processing the wash that has been excavated by hand" the submission should also include the use of "Dryblowers" for use in the drier area's of the State, once again only to process wash.

The issue with little land to Fossick on, All of QLD is able to be used for Fossicking apart from National parks & a few others BUT you need permission, I think what you real need to say, an increase in State land set aside for the purposes of Fossicking & accessible to all with a Fossickers permit.

Economic benefits, there is a huge amount of Goldfield Tourism & if laws were less restrictive this would only increase.

Below needs a bit of re-wording, we are not really trying to level the playing field, more-so removing some of the very restrictive regulations that are in place to allow "Queensland" fossickers to enjoy a pass time which had a huge impact in making this State what it is today we are carrying on a tradition started by the "Pioneers" of this great State, but with the restrictions imposed by laws it makes it harder to enjoy our hobby to the fullest, we ask that our "Artisan Rights" be considered & a change to the laws to reflect this to provide us with greater access & freedom to enjoy our hobby, I would also say that Fossicking is a very low impact hobby as apossed to some of the others out there.
Please help us get some equity and a level playing field here in QLD so that we don't feel like a minority carrying the most draconian treatment of honest good hard working Queenslanders
cheers hope this helps
Lee

Yes good stuff rc62 like it, I will adopt this, thanks for the constructive input mate.
Ok here is this part with modification;

"So we're asking the Honorable Dr Anthony Lynham MP to hear our requests to open up more area's for us, to allow us to use a Highbanker, i.e. mechanical means. To use a motorized pump either petrol or 12v battery in QLD. This use is just to wash the dirt that has been dug by hand, the mechanical means just helps the prospector wash his dirt more efficiently."

I added this: "And we ask for the laws to allow the use of 'Dry Blowers' as well, they are used to process the material that has been gathered but instead of using water to process the material it uses shaking the sluice and air, does not damage and you just need a power source to run them."

Revised petition:

For a long time now fossickers and prospectors in QLD have faced draconian and restrictive laws when it comes to our hobby.

The laws will not let us use highbankers, (sluices and hopper with motor to pump water), other states can use virtually whatever they like within certain guidelines of course, some do have their own restrictions, to get into the whole list of laws is not appropriate for this forum. QLD laws state that we cannot use any mechanical means, i.e. not petrol motors to pump the water, not even a 12v battery, all has to be hand done.

So we're asking the Honorable Dr Anthony Lynham MP to hear our requests to open up more area's for us, to allow us to use a Highbanker, i.e. mechanical means. To use a motorized pump either petrol or 12v battery in QLD. This use is just to wash the dirt that has been dug by hand, the mechanical means just helps the prospector wash his dirt more efficiently.

And we ask for the laws to allow the use of 'Dry Blowers' as well, they are used to process the material that has been gathered but instead of using water to process the material it uses shaking the sluice and air, does not damage and you just need a power source to run them.

We here in QLD, have very limited area's to fossick/prospect, there is nothing around Brisbane, the local govt's have closed off area's like Gold Creek, Burpengary Creek, Enoggera Creek. Whereas in states like Vic, NSW, WA, and SA, they have far more access to area's then we do here in QLD.

For instance to get anywhere from Brisbane to go and have a fossick, the closest is Gympie, 1 1/2 hours away, the next closest is Warwick some 2 1/2 hours away.

So we ask that an increase in State land set aside for the purposes of Fossicking & accessible to all with a Fossickers permit.

The area is restricted in Gympie around Deep Creek, they have yellow posts where you can't go past up from the creek, meaning the whole area has been inundated with people fossicking the area. I have contacted the Premiers office and was sent to the Mining and Resources office, because I was asking for the total amount of registered fossickers and prospectors here in QLD. The reply, was, and you wont' believe this, they had 'NONE' yes NONE. The excuse was that they have outlets all over QLD collecting money for the licenses, like the information center at Gympie.

So the question is, where is all the money going then?

We here in QLD are being victimized severely in regard to fees and area's to fossick and tools that we can use. The harsh system that has been imposed on QLD fossickes is Non- Australian and needs to change.

All we want is more area's to fossick and enjoy our hobby, and pay a fee that is relevant to the accessibility for us all. We call for relativity.

QLD Fossicking Licenses

6 months

1 year

Vic Licenses

NSW:

You can apply for a 12-month state-wide permit from Forestry Corporation online for $27.50 including GST. This allows small-scale fossicking for recreational, tourism or educational purposes in State forests.

A single permit may cover a family group with a maximum of 5 people covered by a permit (2 adults and 3 children under 18 years of age).

WA:

$25 FOR LIFE....get that for LIFE. We pay $2.00 more just for 6 lousy months. Tell me this if fair!

SA...NONE. They can basically go anywhere but for private land they have to get permission, this is the case in most states and is the way it should be.

Small time fossickers only dig a hole and pan it looking for some color, most fossickers are respectable people and have a healthy respect for the environment and strive at all times to keep area's neat and tidy.

Then there is the other side of mining as well...

This hobby is great to tourism in the various area's, whether it by Gympie, Warwick and other QLD sites. It is great fun for families as you can see in the picture, it's a healthy outdoor activity with some exercise involved, good to get our Children out and learning the history of an era that forged this nation, and get them away from being stuck in front of the computer all day.

And it certainly does a lot less harm to the environment as compared to say, the coal seem gas exploration happening in QLD at the moment, set to decimate local farmers and their livelihood. Or some of the overseas multi corporations who want to mine in QLD in a large capacity, like the proposed Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail Project which will be an Open-cut and underground coal mine with a yield of 60 million tonnes per annum and a 189-kilometre railway line. By the Adani Mining Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of India's Adani Group.

If these applications get approved, how much damage are they going to do to the environment compared to the week-end prospector?

By the way, I asked the Govt for the total areas set aside in QLD for fossicking and they can't or won't give me that either, been passed from pillar to post to Freedom Of Information, they said to try the QLD dept of mineral and resources, they are the one's who sent me to the FOI in the first place. I'm not playing that game.

Just found out apparently there are approx 20,000 registered fossickers/prospector permits issued this year.

Please help us get some equity and allow "Queensland" fossickers to enjoy a pass time which had a huge impact in making this State what it is today we are carrying on a tradition started by the "Pioneers" of this great State, but with the restrictions imposed by laws it makes it harder to enjoy our hobby to the fullest, we ask that our "Artisan Rights" be considered & a change to the laws to reflect this to provide us with greater access & freedom to enjoy our hobby, I would also like to add that Fossicking is a very low impact hobby as opposed to some of the others out there.

Kind Regards

Len Cecchetto

Wow that's a revenue of $560,000 per annum into the QLD coffers. They're doing alright.

Thats great input lee. The only places you can fossick is unoccupied land (not to much of the gettin around anymore) and crown (state) land but thats only if no one has a lease against it and you still need permission from dnrm.

It's good the amount of input everyone is having on what key points that need to be put accross, after all, Len, you are representing the whole of the state, from the far north to the south east, the central west and everywhere in between. I take my hat off to ya mate :)

M3

Yes I second that M3 great input, as you say this is about all QLD prospectors and fossickers, and I appreciate it so much. Yes bit of a responsibility hope I can do the cause justice.

cecc said:
QLD Fossicking Licenses

6 months

1 year

Vic Licenses

NSW:

WA:

Kind Regards

Len Cecchetto

Len, the highlighted sentence could do with a bit of work. Not trying to be picky but, my suggestion would be "This doesn't seem fair!"

See what others think and keep up the good work mate! :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

Yeah Billy, I agree, thanks mate, you always miss something when doing a letter like this, have done about 5 revisions so far, and I think it's getting there.

Done, It's starting to sound really good. Thanks all for helping.

Got 26 now. Building up.

Signed. I think all of us prospectors should stick together. It does not matter what state or territory you live in, we all should fight as one and get a universal mining laws for Australia wide.
wombat ;)

I live about 20klms away from the first ever quartz reef mined for gold in Qld, but I cant work the old mullock heaps either with the pan or detecter to try and find what the old timers might of dropped or left behind while mining the reef because the qld govt have fenced it off and claimed it as a "conservation reserve" who are they conserving it for? Cos no one can enjoy it at the moment its not even in private property but you still cant fossick on it. I could go and have a look to see what the old timers had done but there is no gate and the grass is a mile high, if something isnt done soon we are going to lose all this history and nature will take over again.

Sorry for the rant, I know that this is what this petition is for and i think something needs to be done soon.

Rant over :)

M3

Yeah Wombat Steve and I were talking about this coming back from Gympie, I hear you M3, we are all frustrated, we went in from the Victoria St entrance today and there is a plaque there, and guess what it said? There is 12 hectares of fossicking land, so Steve took me for a walk around because I wanted to find some bedrock to crevice, what a Joke, most of the area is so steep you can't access it, the grass is high, some of the ponds in the creek are deep, hence (deep creek) so all in all out of 12 hectares only about 1/2 hectare can be accessed.

And this is the only place to go for us every thing else is locked up and or private. This is what Steve and I talk about most of the time, it's very depressing, we don't want to hike 2 1/2 hours to Warwick, and spend all day digging and then trudge all that distance home again, especially when there are places around Brisbane where we can go and have a pan, but CAN"T.

So infuriating.

32 now....get the link out there guys. Need support from prospectors from all over Aussie.

Thats crap they think they are helping us but they are only robbing us.

The thing about that "conservation reserve" that we arent allowed to fossick on is it is deliberately set aside, it cuts into two free holds and is right next to a highway and fenced right around it. They dont mind spending the money to lock us out. But heaven forbid they let us in!!!

You know whats interesting? I have heard that some private property owners don't even care about signing the back of your fossickers licence, if they give you access onto their land why do they need to sign a fossickers licence, it's their land if they know what you are doing and have given you permission then they are happy, and i'm sure you won't see a ranger in the middle of bum f@#$ on someones private property asking to see your "fossickers licence"

So if we have bugger all designated areas and all we have is private property (especially here in central qld) then what is the point of a fossickers licence?? And why bother with it?

And where is the $500,000+ dollars Len found about for the last year gone to??