QLD Fossicking Laws!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not what we may think... It is how the Rangers etc believe the law is written and the intent.

Fossicking is different from Mining and there are separate regs AND Fossicking in a watercourse etc is a separate issue again... And once you move from a Pan... you get into a world of interpretations and assumptions as to what device is what etc etc...

In short it is different in many states and the rules can be across one or more regs and the KISS pages on Fossicking is brief and you need to read all pages and links..

Then contact the local Government body and BE very exact as to what you are asking about.. As about fossicking and a simple response ask about a Sluice... And you may need to provide lots of info as to size / how it is worked / How water is managed etc etc etc AND then you may not get the correct answer. Unless you get a senior person as the rules keep changing and some staff do not even know what a sluice is..

Jimmy, you have only read part of the Act for Qld. Read the bit that defines "fossicking materials" as 'gold or gemstones or whatever you are after'.

Once you see the definition of "fossicking material" then 'fossicking' is the "search for fossicking materials (eg gold) in a systematic or unsystematic way".

In other words you are still fossicking until you get 'gold'. Fossicking is not over just because there is a pile of dirt that needs to be processed.

In another part of the Act says you cant use power operated equipment (eg pumps) to 'fossick'.

So sorry mate...'fossicking' does not end at "collection".....fossicking ends when you have got fossicking material (gold, gems etc).

But hey...satisfy your self and you are doing that by reading the Act and make sure you read all the 'definitions'

Hi peeps... don't know if this has been covered before... im pretty new at this... so here goes my question. ..
In the Qld fossicking act it reads

Unoccupied land

No permission is required to fossick on unoccupied land, unless there has been a determination of native title.

Can someone elaborate on this? I understand it doesn't include State forrests etc...but Does this mean you can fossick on Private land that is unoccupied by owners or anyone else??
Thanks

Private land is that .... Private...

Unoccupied Crown land is what it refrences... but leases and other uses may change the definition.

Need to contact the lands department for a detailed explanation.

On front gate at thanes GPA . Clearly states no power tools. But durikai and Talgai Nothing, Hmmm. What does that say.

Hey MikeBO5, I was wondering if you think the Supreme Court 'Gonzo V McKie 1995' appeal ruling refer to processing being seperate to collection also would refer to fossickers processing their hand recovered material, providing the specimen material is within the limit for fossicking license. I would interpret it that way.

Revival of an old thread. Queensland rules and regs are very harsh. Has anyone actually been fined for using a highbanker?

Latest posts