chain of ponds - adelaides flooded town

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
howdy. I remember the town. I was about 17 and used to go tearing thru the hillsaround there in the mighty FC holden.
it used to busy on the week ends,with the pub,general store and petrol sales. the roads were narrow and traffic slow.
the graves there are now in poor state. many generations of early settlers buried there. there was a small town submerged in the
hills somewhere.i can't remember which reservoir it was.

Millbrook reservoir is the one slipped :) wish it was open to relic hunting events would be some wicked
History to be dug up and handed into a mueseum perhaps see how i go when i call the reservoir on monday
Even a guided metal detect would be sweet
Cheers
Dan

dryhorrors said:
Millbrook reservoir is the one slipped :) wish it was open to relic hunting events would be some wicked
History to be dug up and handed into a mueseum perhaps see how i go when i call the reservoir on monday
Even a guided metal detect would be sweet
Cheers
Dan

oh cheers for that. bring ya flippers and a spear gun,just in case good ol glubberment eh. the reality is they can kick you out of you home if they choose to.
you don't really own the land. technical but legal. :mad:

I got an 1893 uk penny from Millbrook school before it was sold. Theres def stuff around there. Let us know how you get on dryhorrors

Makes me wonder why the old school ruins weren't heritage listed, it had fair bit of history behind it being the only surviving building from the drowned town of Milbrook?

i have asked if it was legal to do roadsides with the detector they say its fine and a key point for that is a piece of article

"The Morning Star Hotel was originally established by Oliver Philp in 1847 at Timnath, 2km from Chain of Ponds. The road through the area was however diverted in 1852 and Oliver Philp then relocated the hotel to the new Chain of Ponds site around 1851, where the road passed "

now this could be interesting lol, brawling drunkards loosing their loot :)
if i did end up getting any special permission i would be sure to get it in writing

and thats a good point GP, it really should be listed as heritage site being one of the first colonies etc

well after a few days of chasing different numbers and sitting on hold, asked if guided detect would be permitted, they say it would normally be ok but they are undermanned at the moment and you would have to do a induction course to gain access to the lands
so there you have it roadsides and such in the area are ok, so a bit more research to find where the original morning star was located could yield some nice historical finds, the government wins again such a pitty that history was simply buried and they have made it impossible to
do anything fun in this nanny state
cheers for reading guys
dan

That sounds good, something definitely worth chasing up and inquiring again if they have the staffing numbers to attempt it again.

dryhorrors said:
well after a few days of chasing different numbers and sitting on hold, asked if guided detect would be permitted, they say it would normally be ok but they are undermanned at the moment and you would have to do a induction course to gain access to the lands
so there you have it roadsides and such in the area are ok, so a bit more research to find where the original morning star was located could yield some nice historical finds, the government wins again such a pitty that history was simply buried and they have made it impossible to
do anything fun in this nanny state
cheers for reading guys
dan
I found pics of the pub on some site, and also a crude garage near the intersection of the roads there. I think it is now on s.a. water property so never did any more about it. bureaucrats don't care about history,or little else, unless it is a popular cause and there is some gain in it for them. :eek:

Latest posts