Can crust deformation / seismic activity be detected?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The earth has a self potential so if you dig two holes a distance apart and measure it with a voltmeter you will get voltage. This would dwarf quartz resonance etc. but I would say if you are dealing with a fault line with quartz then any potential over that would come from groundwater flow. As an aside you can use self potential to map subsurface geology.

If you are looking at measuring heat from an underground event remember if the event is at depth say 5km then the heat is generated there. Imagine a sphere around that zone extending to the surface as the heat will be dissipated through that volume and would be a very small change at the surface over a very large area. In any event if you don't know what the readings were prior to any event how do you measure a change in heat which is what you are after?

Jon

BigWave said:
Mods,
Some serious editing there.
Guys, give up on the piezo effect.
1. The reef quartz would not be mono-crystalline,
2. Quartz crystal resonances following stress impact, quickly dampen (we're talking MicroSecs), and
3. Steady-state stress induced fields (even if the vein quartz were mono-crystalline - which they ain't) also dissipate extremely quickly.

Wasn't saying the piezo effect had any relevance, was just stating the effect itself. Yes though BW I totally agree with you, there is nothing relevant to piezo here. :D

BW & heatho- cheers

blisters - going to have to go off an average temp from surrounding areas and mountains of similar geo, not exact, but something for a start. May get me no where but I'm certainly not bothered at giving it a go

You never know with some things without having a poke. I'm still trying to figure out if quartz is a solid or a liquid trapped in resonant frequencies ;)

BigWave said:
Heatho, I was referring to the quick removal by you Mods of a post from this thread.
Guess someone was tapped.
Also: Tipitaka is a body of Buddhist knowledge, not a person.
If ya blinked you would have missed that BW. Well spotted ;) ;)

BigWave said:
Heatho, I was referring to the quick removal by you Mods of a post from this thread.

Ahh no worries BW, I'm with you now. I'll admit to a little bit of editing earlier. :D

BigWave said:
Ha, I always thought it was tripytaka. ;)

Haha lmao all good BW. I'm too busy checking temperatures anyway...

1458540319_14585402700500.jpg

..we really need an emote that shows a zipper over a mouth...

Anyway.. got the data from one station on the way with past 6 year logs for one mountain, its a start, after a few more emails I should have enough stats as a base to run off for a reference at least, so that's working out well so far :)

Hello, hello what's all this then.......?
Funny story I seem to recall pointing out the all seeing was scuttling down a rabbit hole and yet my post has been pulled?
Now correct me if I am wrong but what exactly was stated within said removed post that was not within the bounds of the forum rules?
In case this one gets yanked too post haste I shall rephrase your Honor immediately below.

You must understand when I point out getting offended is just getting offended, it actually conveys no right. Stephen Fry says is best.
Being offended is decreeing you are incapable of self control of you own inner emotions and reliquish the responsibility upon everyone else around you, practically rendering you to a toddler regression like status.

Ouch you offended me.....Well perhaps but did you really get hurt or is it just an ouchy.

As I was saying...ahem....what relevance does surface temperature have to siesmic activity? Please elighten me.....it is that time of year of the comedy festival.

Thats What I said there is no correlation between surface temp and seismic activity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the poor thermal conductivity of rock the heat that is generated with fault movement may heat up the surfaces in contact with each other but the fact that most earthquakes occur at depth makes finding it at surface next to impossible.
In the case of trying to find a land slide with using heat well that shows a down right lack of knowledge on the causes and effect of landslide. the most common cause of a landslide is a higher than normal rainfall event in a area that has unstable geology. Most of the landslide in the otways occur in sediments that or poorly cemented or unconsolidated with a high slope angle.
The slide will move on a layer of supersaturated sediments so if you think that sticking your finger in the dirt will give you a clue to where there planes lie then perhaps you need to go read a few more books.

AtomRat said:
I know that if I have a piece of quartz or rochelle salt ( another piezo ) connected to my oscilloscope and hit it with a pen, ill see that it causes a small current to be detectable, but I never added power to see what happened. Ill give it a go. I get what you mean, just like the old dick smith piezo headphone / microphone combo etc

You can make vibration detectors from this with a microprocessor rather simply. Can be ultra sensitive too

Have you ever discovered something Barra that you didn't want to quite share but need info on? Please don't put another unnessacary stop to the thread from definition blasphemy. Look through the fog

Latest posts