Can crust deformation / seismic activity be detected?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oii Guy's. :)
Post is going south.
It is a very interesting thread so settle down and have some mungo beans Eh. ?

I prefer the finger myself, gives a cute senses a chance to respond ! 8)
Oh look, I didn't read from the beginning. :lol:
Barra_Mad said:
Thats What I said there is no correlation between surface temp and seismic activity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the poor thermal conductivity of rock the heat that is generated with fault movement may heat up the surfaces in contact with each other but the fact that most earthquakes occur at depth makes finding it at surface next to impossible.
In the case of trying to find a land slide with using heat well that shows a down right lack of knowledge on the causes and effect of landslide. the most common cause of a landslide is a higher than normal rainfall event in a area that has unstable geology. Most of the landslide in the otways occur in sediments that or poorly cemented or unconsolidated with a high slope angle.
The slide will move on a layer of supersaturated sediments so if you think that sticking your finger in the dirt will give you a clue to where there planes lie then perhaps you need to go read a few more books.

Jupiter says to the moon," oh look, an earthquake :eek: and volcanoes, oh, and is that a Tsunami? :eek: :eek:

Barra_Mad said:
Thats What I said there is no correlation between surface temp and seismic activity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure that's totally correct, these research abstracts following suggest otherwise. Where did you get your information from?

I commend AT for having a go and thinking outside the box. Even if his experiment fails it is a success as we all learn something from it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117703004861

"We find evidence for such correlations, specifically for a thermal anomaly LST pattern that is apparently related to pre-seismic activity." (LST is Land Surface Temperature.)

https://www.researchgate.net/profil..._and_China/links/02e7e52fa03f58f0f4000000.pdf

"The anomaly appeared about 624 days before and continued about a week after an earthquake. The anomaly was sensitive to crustal earthquakes with a magnitude more than 4.7 and for distance of up to 1000 km. The amplitude of this anomaly was about 3 C."

Barra_Mad said:
The slide will move on a layer of supersaturated sediments so if you think that sticking your finger in the dirt will give you a clue to where there planes lie then perhaps you need to go read a few more books.

If I'm not mistaken AR sticking his finger in the dirt was attempt to add a littler humour to this thread, gave me a chuckle anyway. :D

Had me rolling in the isles too. :lol:
Wins best humour photo (detecting related) geologicaly speaking. :lol: ;) 8)

Blisters, the papers discussing Satellite Thermal Imaging (mid-Infrared wavelengths) cover massive areas (pixellation of ~1km grid) and shows averaged temperatures over these huge areas with strong stress build-up and release. Spot ground temperature interpretations (even during a 1 in 100 year Australian event) would be well below random noise walk - even based on historical area data.
I applaud members lateral thinking (viz: Ground Penetrating Radar etc) and the number of inventions published in this forum, and without these visions technology won't advance. In this case where billion dollar cutting edge technology is required for space observation with years of research, in my humble opinion: Barra is on the money. I'd rather try a divining rod - better yet my 4500!

Bigwave, Barra ruled out any correlation but according to the research you can detect earthquakes with temperature so he's not on the money. No need to buy a satellite, MODIS data and tools are free to download from archives going back around 15 years from memory with resolution of around 1km and 1C and better on LST. In this case if it doesn't suit the purpose from depth/magnitude/area for earthquakes no one has to use it but it sure beats using a thermometer or divining rod. ;)
Jon

I've met Atom, and he's a good dude, well read and keen as mustard to learn more. Easy please as I'm starting to feel like this forum's a sort oh home - least I haven't been booted off yet :lol:

Latest posts