Can anyone tell me what these are?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracka

Craig
Reaction score
Just reading up on an area I will be heading to on 11th-13th September and when I found the old parish maps there are areas that state "spirifers, pectins, chaenomya in abundance" and in another spot it says "spirifers, productus & chaenomya in abundance". Can anyone with a bit geology knowledge tell me what all this means? Also what quartz feldspar porphyri is and is this a good area to look for gold? Marine fossils are also found in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cracka.

Types of fossilised shells, although the correct names may not have been used to appropriately describe the actual finds.

1441256707_image.jpg

1441256739_image.jpg

1441256760_image.jpg

cracka said:
Just reading up on an area I will be heading to on 11th-13th September and when I found the old parish maps there are areas that state "spirifers, pectins, chaenomya in abundance" and in another spot it says "spirifers, productus & chaenomya in abundance". Can anyone with a bit geology knowledge tell me what all this means? Also what quartz feldspar porphyri is and is this a good area to look for gold? Marine fossils are also found in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cracka.

spirifers, pectins, chaenomya - fossils
quartz feldspar porphyri(y) - igneous finer grained rock with large crystals of quartz and feldspar

Google is your friend on this one.

Jon

The gold content of igneous granitic rocks is usually invariably low and not known to be of any great economic value.
We are talking PPM here.

Having said that many are probably the sources of the gold, silver, and other metals which are secondarily concentrated in the fractures, faults, and shear zones in the feldspar porphyry.
Feldspar can be an indication of contact zones existence...... where Igneous meets Metamorphic rock.
This is where the higher concentrations of gold will be.

Look for these areas cracka....... where the granite meats the metamorphosed areas of rock, and target the mentioned fault and sheer zones to increase your odds of a find at close to surface level, rather than deeply embedded sources in the igneous.

Not sure what resources you have available in NSW, but Geovic is an excellent tool we use here in VIC to identify these types of zones.

Good luck mate ;)

Latest posts