Camping Spots in Central Victoria by a Lake, River, Creek etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi Guys anyone know of some good camping spots around dunolly & Maryborough near water
But no so far away from the goldfields?

Thanks in advance..

Free or $$??

Laanacoorie Lakeside Caravan Park. has powered, unpowered etc. The majority of unpowered are down by the reservoir. Great facilities. Cheap. There is even a run of diggings on site!! Lots of prospectors use this place. 10 minutes to pub (see below). has a shop etc.

Laanacoorie township. Free (or minimal cost??) , down by the Loddon River. Basic facilities. No shop.

Wanyarra - free, by the very dry creek. Basic facilities. No shop.

Newbridge Footy Ground - minimal cost, at the Loddon River, spit and you hit the pub. MMMM - beer. Shop, pub etc.

All are either on or very near to the goldfields. Wanyarra - you are right on them. Laanacoorie - about a 5 minute drive. Newbridge - about 10 minute drive.

Get the camps Australia Book or if you have a smart phone, Wikicamps. They list recognised campsites.
Re Maryborough, there is the Karri Track Campground, near Dunolly there is the Waanyarra campground.
Neither have perennial watercourses. There are plenty of campsites, very few have streams or rivers nearby.
As far as I'm aware, one can camp anywhere in a State Forrest. Be careful, as Stae Parks, National Parks and Conservation Parks probably don't allow camping other than prescribed campgrounds and may charge a fee.

However, is it water for drinking, water for washing or water for prospecting you are after?

Bit difficult to properly answer you.

http://www.laanecoorie.com.au/ would be my pick. Very nice, also secure and staffed, the others are not. If you have a tent, makes a lot of difference. They have gold maps for sale etc, campfires are Ok, dogs etc. (Its the place the 'other' forum has their big yearly get together. Nice and central to Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Maryborough, Bendigo. About 1 hour to Clunes/Creswick as well.

Plus - check this site and follow the links for a few other spots. http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=242

I spent 2 weeks in my Caravan at Karri Track last year, was quiet, was never there alone, has a drop toilet and is only 7kms out of Maryborough.

Every 2nd to 3rd day I'ld go into town to the indoor pool for a shower, cost $3 (a couple $ more if you want to swim as well). In between, it was armpits and assholes with a face cloth.

I carry 10l springwater for cooking and tea/coffee and drinking water. That avoids any risk of Delhi Belly. As far as dishwashing, me washing etc, I had a 60l van tank and also had 3x20l jerries, 2x15l jerries and 1x10l jerry. when the 3 x20s were empty I went to the servo in town to fill em and recharge the van.

A couple of laundramats in town to wash the threads.

loamer said:
http://www.laanecoorie.com.au/ would be my pick. Very nice, also secure and staffed, the others are not. If you have a tent, makes a lot of difference. They have gold maps for sale etc, campfires are Ok, dogs etc. (Its the place the 'other' forum has their big yearly get together. Nice and central to Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Maryborough, Bendigo. About 1 hour to Clunes/Creswick as well.

Plus - check this site and follow the links for a few other spots. http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=242

Your a legend loamer. If I bump into you at the pub I owe you one.

Thanks

condor22 said:
I spent 2 weeks in my Caravan at Karri Track last year, was quiet, was never there alone, has a drop toilet and is only 7kms out of Maryborough.

Every 2nd to 3rd day I'ld go into town to the indoor pool for a shower, cost $3 (a couple $ more if you want to swim as well). In between, it was armpits and assholes with a face cloth.

I carry 10l springwater for cooking and tea/coffee and drinking water. That avoids any risk of Delhi Belly. As far as dishwashing, me washing etc, I had a 60l van tank and also had 3x20l jerries, 2x15l jerries and 1x10l jerry. when the 3 x20s were empty I went to the servo in town to fill em and recharge the van.

A couple of laundramats in town to wash the threads.

Awesome.

I only am planning a 2 or 3 day trip in between work when I am not busy.

If you happen to be at the same pub I'll shout you one as well :)

Thanks, Wolf, will take a rain check, 600kms bit far to go for one beer, lol.
Will be heading East in 5-6 weeks for a month or so.

Another place I stayed was at the Inglewood caravan park, last year it was $100/week, plus metered power. Which included your own onsuite site. I believe it is under new ownership, so not sure about now.

condor22 said:

Another place I stayed was at the Inglewood caravan park, last year it was $100/week, plus metered power. Which included your own onsuite site. I believe it is under new ownership, so not sure about now.

As a complete aside - Inglewood is a very interesting place to detect and it is a lovely place. Close to Rheola (Berlin on the old maps), Kingower and of course - the Inglewood fields. Forgot about this place.

loamer said:
condor22 said:

As a complete aside - Inglewood is a very interesting place to detect and it is a lovely place. Close to Rheola (Berlin on the old maps), Kingower and of course - the Inglewood fields. Forgot about this place.

Don't suppose you've heard anything about the van park's new owners, Loamer?

Also what's the Teddington camp like? I have driven to it, but not stayed there. Also, is the area to the north of the camp a viable area for detectors?

Latest posts