Camping equipment suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking to buy sum camping equipment and would like to know what any body thinks or have used. I'm thinking of getting the aqua cube lll logic for a hot shower, self inflating mat would like to know what's the best brand and comfortable?
I have a tent that I want to put LED strip lighting and power for a fridge/freezer TV/DVD Maybe satellite dish for the kids at night but have no idea where to start what size battery?, what type of solar panel I have seen a solar blanket from ARB 4x4 outlet what's the best way to go? what's the best satellite? would love any body's in put even your pitchers of your set up thank for reading josh

Hi J&D

Good to see your enthusiasm and wish list :) A couple of things to think about first before you start anything.

How often do you plan on going
What will be the usual trip length
Where about's do you plan on going, caravan parks, remote outback etc...
Have you done any camping with the family
They may not even like it !

My motto is always were possible "Buy once, buy well" buying cheap usually lets you down and you have to replace it in the long run and you end up buying what you should have bought in the first place so it actually costs you more

Also electricity is nice and you will need to sort something out, but I would take minimal things after all aren't you supposed to be enjoying the outback. An ipad or similar is enough to keep them busy, use a car DVD when travelling to break the long drives.

Also a lot of general stuff you need is probably already in your house it is just a matter of finding that camping use.

Things I would not compromise on are -
- Torch, hand and head lamp at a few good quality ones (1 each plus in car, in toolbox etc...)

- Toilet (chemical seem to work well) and cubicle ($40 pop up), not knowing the family but I know a lot of ladies that like the privacy, also it gives you a respite from the flies... still can't get used to that fly tickle :lol:

- Shower have a look around there a heap of methods, but that unit or similar looks like a good idea. I use a small pressure sprayer bottle from Masters, fill it after lunch. Warm by dinner time 1lt gives you a good wash. Where we go water is a luxury so we use it very sparingly. We also use one of these for spraying the dishes, soak, rinse. Again using only about 600ml. We do boil some water for the wash, but use most for coffees after dinner.

- Good shoes and socks. You want to have a good grip and keep your feet comfy, sore feet = bad

- Multi tool there are plenty around, but I think Leatherman do a good one for around $60 of course you can spend hundreds if you want.

- Bedding I have used several self inflating types and they are fine, my mate takes an inflatable one and he hasn't had a problem. On rock they are not enough comfort for me even the thick ones. I have just brought a stretcher bed that my swag sits on. So I am off the ground and can sit on the bed rather than having to get up, to get out. Will see how comfortable on this next trip.

- Sleeping bags depending on where you go, there are some multi kit ones that have different layers you add. This could be handy if you are going to varied areas and times of the year. Something like this - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...s-3-pc-ecws-sleeping-bag-system.aspx?a=406440 FWIW I have purchased a few items from this company and had no problems. Top service.

- Cooking again depending on your family size, but LPG is usually the easiest. Even if you have a big 2-3 burner setup. Get a cheap $20 one you see around with the canisters, they are perfect for stopping and boiling some water for a cuppa.

- First Aid have a master kit, then a small kit that you carry when out walking etc... Don't need a lot but have something, also carry some Electrolyte drinks/satchels as well

- Solar we use a 120W unit secured to the roof, with a sealed battery in a box, all hooked up to Anderson plugs. With an outlet 12v to an inverter, this charges batteries and runs the led lights as well. We learned the hard way before and got a flat battery about 100k out of Coolgardie. So we always only use the solar kit now. Get one that is not effected by cloud or shade so much. Some only work if all the cells are in light. We will be running a fridge off this next time. I will update later on amps and how it went.

With all of that being said and done, you probably already now a lot of this but it may be useful for someone else as well. Whatever you do try and reduce weight and taking things you don't need. Try to take things that do multi jobs rather than a piece that just does one thing.

Make a list and keep adjusting it, what did you not take, what did you not use over the last 5 trips. What can be taken out or replaced by other items.

Most of all, slow down and enjoy the time out in the bush, we are the lucky country and there is a lot to see 8)

Well said Westaus :)
pretty much what you need out there in the bush.
( ah don't forget a full charged battery camera, you'll need them too) ;)

Westaus said:
Hi J&D

Good to see your enthusiasm and wish list :) A couple of things to think about first before you start anything.

How often do you plan on going
What will be the usual trip length
Where about's do you plan on going, caravan parks, remote outback etc...
Have you done any camping with the family
They may not even like it !

My motto is always were possible "Buy once, buy well" buying cheap usually lets you down and you have to replace it in the long run and you end up buying what you should have bought in the first place so it actually costs you more

Also electricity is nice and you will need to sort something out, but I would take minimal things after all aren't you supposed to be enjoying the outback. An ipad or similar is enough to keep them busy, use a car DVD when travelling to break the long drives.

Also a lot of general stuff you need is probably already in your house it is just a matter of finding that camping use.

Things I would not compromise on are -
- Torch, hand and head lamp at a few good quality ones (1 each plus in car, in toolbox etc...)

- Toilet (chemical seem to work well) and cubicle ($40 pop up), not knowing the family but I know a lot of ladies that like the privacy, also it gives you a respite from the flies... still can't get used to that fly tickle :lol:

- Shower have a look around there a heap of methods, but that unit or similar looks like a good idea. I use a small pressure sprayer bottle from Masters, fill it after lunch. Warm by dinner time 1lt gives you a good wash. Where we go water is a luxury so we use it very sparingly. We also use one of these for spraying the dishes, soak, rinse. Again using only about 600ml. We do boil some water for the wash, but use most for coffees after dinner.

- Good shoes and socks. You want to have a good grip and keep your feet comfy, sore feet = bad

- Multi tool there are plenty around, but I think Leatherman do a good one for around $60 of course you can spend hundreds if you want.

- Bedding I have used several self inflating types and they are fine, my mate takes an inflatable one and he hasn't had a problem. On rock they are not enough comfort for me even the thick ones. I have just brought a stretcher bed that my swag sits on. So I am off the ground and can sit on the bed rather than having to get up, to get out. Will see how comfortable on this next trip.

- Sleeping bags depending on where you go, there are some multi kit ones that have different layers you add. This could be handy if you are going to varied areas and times of the year. Something like this - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...s-3-pc-ecws-sleeping-bag-system.aspx?a=406440 FWIW I have purchased a few items from this company and had no problems. Top service.

- Cooking again depending on your family size, but LPG is usually the easiest. Even if you have a big 2-3 burner setup. Get a cheap $20 one you see around with the canisters, they are perfect for stopping and boiling some water for a cuppa.

- First Aid have a master kit, then a small kit that you carry when out walking etc... Don't need a lot but have something, also carry some Electrolyte drinks/satchels as well

- Solar we use a 120W unit secured to the roof, with a sealed battery in a box, all hooked up to Anderson plugs. With an outlet 12v to an inverter, this charges batteries and runs the led lights as well. We learned the hard way before and got a flat battery about 100k out of Coolgardie. So we always only use the solar kit now. Get one that is not effected by cloud or shade so much. Some only work if all the cells are in light. We will be running a fridge off this next time. I will update later on amps and how it went.

With all of that being said and done, you probably already now a lot of this but it may be useful for someone else as well. Whatever you do try and reduce weight and taking things you don't need. Try to take things that do multi jobs rather than a piece that just does one thing.

Make a list and keep adjusting it, what did you not take, what did you not use over the last 5 trips. What can be taken out or replaced by other items.

Most of all, slow down and enjoy the time out in the bush, we are the lucky country and there is a lot to see 8)

Hey Josh,
A little tip about when using a fridge, buy one that has a 240v adaptor so that when you are within a week off heading out plug it in and run it for several days. This will ensure that when you load it up all will remain cold and not place a drain on your battery by starting it up in the car.
To save room in the fridge Criovac all of the snags and steaks, when frozen they will also help the fridge stay cold.

Just some thoughts.............

Peter. :cool:

If you have an Engel fridge, at this time of year it only takes 2-3 hours to get to temp. However if it's a 3 way, it takes between 12 and 24 hours depending on ambient temp.

In cooler weather I've gone out to the 4x4 in the morning, turned it on, gone inside, got the food and drink and loaded the fridge. I have a temp gauge to the fridge in my centre console and it is below 4 deg within an hour. By putting cold food and drink from the house fridge into the Engel, the Engel gets colder quicker. To do this uses about 10AH from my 100AH auxiliary battery.

Summer time it takes longer and pays to turn it on the evening before and let it cool overnight, then put the food in. This I do on 240V

My van 3 way, I put on 240V at least a day before, but it's different technology.

My point being, how you pre cool a fridge depends on what kind of fridge or fridge freezer it is, what and how much you put in it and the ambient temperature it is operating in.

At least 2 Good water containers. If you need to take water to your camp use 2 water containers, if 1 leaks,cracks,spills,ect you still have a spare.

Cheers,

Rob

Josh

Re your satellite TV question.

The only real choice is the Vast system - You will need a dish (8-900mm) and the correct frequency LNB (low noise balun = the microphone looking thing that points at the dish), an adjustable tripod to mount the dish, a compass to get a rough idea of where to point the dish, the correct impedance cable to connect the dish to the receiver box, the receiver box and most important the Vast card to insert into the receiver. You will also need to reauthorise periodically, this is free and best done before you leave home on a trip.

The receiver is only available in 240VAC, (unless something has been released since I last looked) so you will need an inverter or generator to run it. It is however fairly low current draw. If you want the specs on power for the receiver and a 12 VDC TV poser consumption, PM me and I'll get them from my system and PM them to you.

Although I have a caravan, I still need to manage my power requirements for these items and the other devices I use.

BTW, I am a retired electro/mechanical designer and have extensive 12VDC and 240VAC design and implementation experience including my 4x4 and last 2 vans.

Great, I had a couple of mornings at 0.2 degrees outside. Inside it was whatever I set the heater to, 20, while up in the evening and 15 overnight.

No condensation whatsoever, great to get up and dressed in. Also, although I had a shower tent, I just boiled up on the stove, used the kitchen sink, facecloth and soap in the van to wash. Bugger going outside naked.

It used < than 10 amps for 12 hrs and about 1.5 litres of Diesel. I usually put it on about 7-8pm and left it on until about 8-9 am.

Mind you the last month wasn't to cold in Vic, but I'm going back in July for 2-3 weeks and it will probably be a lot colder.

The wife and I were at our local farmers market yesterday, when we noticed that there was a swap meet on as well. As there had not been any decent garage sales on we decided to have a wander. The one thing that caught our eyes was this fire box / come bbq . Ideal for places where you can't have a fire on the ground.

1408837851_dsc_0260-optimized.jpg

made out of mild steel and comes with stanless steel hot plate
1408837852_dsc_0261-optimized.jpg

It just slots togethor
1408837852_dsc_0262-optimized.jpg

Comes with it's own carry bag

STU

Latest posts