Camp tucker Happy Camper Gourmet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look tasty.Will have to give it a try. Can't be worse than Uncle Ben's. Horrible stuff.

When you consider that meals in the freezer section cost $7-8, need freezing and normally microwaving to heat, or thawed before cooking in an oven of some kind, these meals are not that expensive.

However, I sometimes use a "Shuttlechef" (SC) thermal cooker, I can do a Thai curry or beef stew for < less than $20 each which makes 5 meals in each batch. That's $4 a meal. If I cook one on day 1 and eat 1 of them, I freeze the other 4. Then on day 2, I cook a different meal, eat 1 and freeze the rest, that's now 10 days of eating for 2 days cooking (and it's easy, I'm no chef when it comes to the kitchen) at a cost of a bit over $30 compared with at least $110 for the above.

Yes I do need to freeze, I have a freezer in the van, but I eat at near a 1/4 the cost and get to chose every ingredient.

I don't have to eat them all at once, I can still mix SCs meals with other food.

I guess where these meals come into their own, is if you have no freezer, maybe camping in swags and tents and too far from civilisation for a pub meal.

PS example SC meal - dice some beef (cheap cut), brown the meat in the SC pot, add stock from a carton, a little gravy powder and cornflour if you want the gravy thicker, salt and pepper to taste, diced potatoes, sliced carrots, until the pot is nearly full. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30minutes. Add a can of peas if you like them, put the lid on and then put the whole lot into the thermal outer and place where in won't get knocked around. You do all of this at breakfast, when you get where you are going or at the end of a day detecting, the stored heat has cooked through and the meat is most tender I have ever eaten. After a feed, let the rest cool, put the meals into disposable Glad containers and freeze. Easy

G'day condor22, the shuttle chef is my pick of the thermal cookers as well. Comes into it's own in winter when I'm working daylight till dark. I can prepare a meal before I go to work and get back to camp I have tea cooked plus leftovers for lunch or for a quick reheatable meal for another day. I've thought about vacuum sealing leftovers and may give this a go down the track.
The happy camper meals would be good as emergency rations or when a person decides to spend an extra night out in the field when he has found a good patch. I've spent extra nights in the bush living off of tins of baked beans and tom piper that I've had stashed under the seat for months, this would be a better alternative.
:) Mick

These Dehydrated food packs might not be bad if you are hiking/backpacking for a few days. I don't do that but i always have tins of spaghetti/baked beans in the camper trailer. A jumbo loaf of bread, margarine (doesn't behave like butter in the heat) 12 frozen sausages---tea/coffee----good enough for 4-5 days.
:)

G'day Jaros, these packs aren't dehydrated which makes them a better alternative to the dry tucker. I use dry peas/beans in stews and that's about it. I don't use margarine or butter on bread, may because I'm sick of it turning to liquid or I'm to tight to buy it.
:) Mick

I was only talking about these meals with a mate yesterday' he has tried them and thinks there pretty good' so we are going to get one of there big packs to just take maybe two' each camping trip just incase we burn dinner or stay an extra day.

Iv used the high country dehydrated meals for years on back pack hunts and back up meals although terrible it beats being hungry, these meals are completely different.

In our household no one has had butter(or margarine) on bread for over 14 years,...except on a bit of toast on occasion,....does get used in cakes and cooking though, kids all eat wholegrain bread too as we very seldom get other types,...as for the bush, I'm pretty lazy and would just eat out of the can with my fingers to save time(probably) that way I'd only need the cans and an opener(or a rock). Basic and primevil(would eat raw meat if I could catch it).

Latest posts