Building a Charcoal type forge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using a LGP type forge to do some Blacksmith type forging and making various things.

I have decided to make a Charcoal type forge to do the same kind of projects, but it should run a lot cheaper using wood/charcoal instead of LPG

The build so far is going well, and with advice from Sand Surfer to get the fire pot the optimal size.

20230905_125934.jpg

cheers dave

looking the goods dave ,
it's good you have extended the ash catch pipe ,you will not get any blow back there mate
i will send some picks later today and give you a bell

I gave the new Charcoal Forge a bit of a run yesterday for a short while to see how it goes, I still need to make a hood and hat thingy to suck the ash and sparks up because when a bit of wind blows it send a shower of tiny sharks over me Ouch but it will heat metal, a piece of 12 mm round rod heats up quick and a railway dog spike was able to get red hot it that amount of time.

I have not even got and proper charcoal as yet and just a small bag of bricketts from bunnings and a few small bits of split wood.

And just using a hair dryer for air supply until I get the proper fan blower

The cover just puts the fire out when you turn the air off and place the cover over the coals.

20230909_121033.jpg

20230909_121023.jpg

cheers dave

Last edited:

Latest posts