Bucket strainer for bilge pump highbanker?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just quickly made up a strainer to fit bilge pump in its rough but am hoping will do the job.
What do other users do?
Is shade cloth ok or is it to fine?
Imagine I will sit it in the creek with rock in the bottom and have water level just below the rim that way no floaties will be sucked in
Slots have been cut approx 100mm from bottom of bucket to stop mud or sludge getting in, and there is 5 slots approx 40mm wide by 110mm so should let enough water through
Is this all adequate or is there a better way?
Thanks yet again for more advice

1394427174_image.jpg

1394427194_image.jpg

I have been a member for a while and it just occurred to me I have never shown any finds!
Here are a couple of little pieces found years ago detecting in central Vic, I love the little quartz specimen,
Would be over the moon if I found anything like this in the highbanker!!!!
Cheers all

1394428367_image.jpg

I have been using a Tupperware container with a rock in it with the top of the container below the surface. It stops the sand and most of the floaties but it still sucks in floating weed (like fairy floss). I will be interested in seeing how your filter works, I think it will work well. How much water are you drawing from the bucket.

Hey Mr limb the bilge pump is 3700 gph or so it states! Haven't been in the field yet but have had it running you can see it going in a vid on my other posts! Am trying to cover all my bases I know it's a cheap bilge pump so am trying to give it an easy life so it doesn't die to soon! Can imagine that floating weed is a nuisance! I mean they don't come with a very good strainer

hey big, just out of curiosity what are you using to power the 3700gph bilge pump, looking for battery specs.
cheers.

Personally i just use a pool strainer with the intake hose inside and use a rock to hold it down.

Thanks back creek, just met up with gold target tonight and he showed me the same one! You couldn't make it for that price, think a trip to the reject shop is due, as am worried the shade cloth might be to fine, thanks for your input

Big bryza said:
Thanks back creek, just met up with gold target tonight and he showed me the same one! You couldn't make it for that price, think a trip to the reject shop is due, as am worried the shade cloth might be to fine, thanks for your input

Couldn't you wrap the shade cloth around a couple of times making it harder for bits to get thru?

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts