Brisbane QLD areas information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
Have been on various alluvial forums for a while and am looking at finding time to actually go out sometime and do some ground work.
Just wondering what people can reccomend that is somewhat close to Brissy for a first outing that cna give hope and have something to show to the missus when I egt home so that i may be granted permission to head out again, possibly for a little longer or go a little further?

I am still lacking most equipment atm, as yet I only have 2 different grade shieves lol
But am looking at starting to build a cheap drop riffle sluice box as a starter and get an ebay pan to do panning.
Will be a fair while off before I can fork out for a MD so will have to settle for the elbow grease in the mean time.
Also looking at building a "blue bowl" so I can process fines and sand when i get back home.

Anybody go out somewhat reguarly that woudn't mind taking someone new out to show the ropes and pass on some knowledge about best practices?

Also keen to try sniping, even if it getting cold, nothing a roaring fire can't fix lol

Hey BJ,
Im in the middle of renovations ATM and have been a bit quiet on the digging front but hopefully soon I might be able to head on out to Glendon for a one dayer.
Feel free to tag along.
I just realized that the crap under the house is much more than my new 6X6 metre shed I just put up so storing my many bits and shites is starting to wear on me a little.
A big job for the old girl, built in 1907 and getting a major facelift.
Will catch up for sure.
Cheers
Brad.....

Ok cool, when you are planing on heading out swing us a PM about 1-2 weeks prior so I can plan it in my scheldue and hopefully have a bit of gear together as well

im going to brissy in september and looking for samewhere to go for a swing iv looked and warwick the closes can anyone segests where to go there plz :)

Hi all,am just started to get interested in fossicking and would like some general info.i live just north of brisbane and was wondering if there was any good areas i could have a go at....distance is not a problem,and if camping was aloud that would be a bonus on the longer trips and i dont own a 4x4 but a good old ute thats never let me down over rough ground.Hope to hear a few spots i could try...Regards Bomber_oz (rob) :)

emerald I have heard off is good. I am in nsw so don't know a lot some one will give you all the hot spots near you soon good hobby you have some very good gems near you not sure on gold :cool:

Hi,
I have family that have lived at Rubyvale area for 50 years or more, slim pickings there however tomahawk creek and Claremont are good the bonus of Claremont is a detector shop and a good caravan park, hope that helps.

Bob.

If you want close to Brissy that you can go away for the weekend or a week, head towards Warwick area.
Only 2-3hrs west and there are designated fossicking areas set up, as well as caravan parks with people on hand to teach the art of panning.
Other areas around there are: Thanes Creek, Kilkivan, Talgai.
But if you are willing to head further afield, Clermont has amssive reserves for fossicking, as well as Glendon.

Definetly the Warwick area is good, always getting gold by crevicing or detecting, also 2 new areas have been opened up for digging, be sure to get your licence as the rangers are patrolling up that way.
Good luck on your hunt.
Cheers
Brad....

Hey all,
I'm from Brisbane I'm new to this gold prospecting thing and would like to know if there are any places around 2-3hour drive from Brisbane that I could go and do some gold prospecting..?

Hi Stevo, welcome mate. Yeah Gympie (deep creek) is about an hour and a bit, and Warwich has about 3 different spots, Thanks creek, Talgai and Durikai state forests. about 2 1/2 hours away. Haven't been to Warwick yet but a mate and I are hoping to get there this year. Hope that helps.

Latest posts