Brindabella

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusKeene

Formerly (StinkyPete1977)
Reaction score
Just wondering...have any of you guys done any exploring around Brindabella...if so were the results any good? I've been looking at google maps and I've been thinking about trying to do a little bit of panning and Sluicing at the bridge on the Brindabella Rd were it crosses over Goodradigbee river. Has anybody else tried this area?

Pretty hard to get onto any properties in the valley as its all private land with no trespass signs on most of the gates. They're a very private lot who don't even like trout fishermen on their property. East side of the river is Namadgi National park which restricts you even more. Panned the bridge area a while back and you do get the odd flakes but it's very deep and not many areas to scratch around. Lot better areas around Tumut with more consistent colour.

Cheers Wal, :)

Lot of private property out that way only one small public access area not sure if it's part of Namadgi. If you find any tungsten bead-head trout flies let me know they are probably mine ;). I have been asked to move on once :8

Cheers

C&L

That's about 10ks downstream from the bridge and in the National park. Rangers inspect there almost every day.

Cheers Wal,

Thanks for all the guys...Think I'll give the area a miss now. Back to the research again I suppose.

My second great grandfather was the owner of Brindabella Mining Company,the gold was never recovered from the creek,it was hydraulic sluiced from an area on the eastern side of the river,he spent 2 years digging a tunnel under a hill to get water to where he needed it.

Then he got caught up in all sorts of litigation after the muddie waters of the sluicing contaminated the newly built lake Burrinjuck and during that time the tunnel collapsed and rendered the mine useless.

Also alot of small mine located between Brindabella and Kiandra but now all national parkes :(

If camping in the area its a good idea to control pet dogs if you take them,farmers will shoot any unknown dog instantly as the area has always had bad wild dog problems right back till the late 1800,s.

The last time i was recently there i seen a few dogs strung up on fences and they were wearing collars. :(

pauly250 said:
My second great grandfather was the owner of Brindabella Mining Company,the gold was never recovered from the creek,it was hydraulic sluiced from an area on the eastern side of the river,he spent 2 years digging a tunnel under a hill to get water to where he needed it.

Then he got caught up in all sorts of litigation after the muddie waters of the sluicing contaminated the newly built lake Burrinjuck and during that time the tunnel collapsed and rendered the mine useless.

Also alot of small mine located between Brindabella and Kiandra but now all national parkes :(

wow . mining can be such a tough gig

i was reading that in 1919 a dredging operation at Oallen was destroyed by flooding and abandoned , again in that region in 1937 another company recovered 20 kg of gold from 500,000 cubic metres of material over 2 years but stated a recovery rate of only 2 % due to the gold being so fine and not having the means to capture it

some win , some lose but you have to respect the people who toil so hard in the hope they will.

HeadsUp said:
pauly250 said:

wow . mining can be such a tough gig

i was reading that in 1919 a dredging operation at Oallen was destroyed by flooding and abandoned , again in that region in 1937 another company recovered 20 kg of gold from 500,000 cubic metres of material over 2 years but stated a recovery rate of only 2 % due to the gold being so fine and not having the means to capture it

some win , some lose but you have to respect the people who toil so hard in the hope they will.

Some serious flooding caused major havoc around the Majors Creek area with many deaths and gold diggings washed away,on that note the gold just got washed elsewhere.

Latest posts