Bought vs Found?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

My fiance and I are the latest victims of the fossicking bug and would like to say that it is a great buzz to have found our first sapphire, topaz, black spinel and zircon in some very leechy looking creeks haha. All are little specks except for the topaz NUGGGGGGETS. i will never forget my first coloured stone showing up in front of my eyes... woo hoo.

Nice to know that there are some fantastic people out there willing to give advice on fossicking for gems as we bumped into two very nice ppl on our adventures last Sunday who were really good sports.

At the end of the day, we gathered that its not only about the gems... its the location, the excitement, the pain, the glory, the mystery the stories that run in the blood of the fossicker that really gives you that feeling that this day that just passed- that you will never get back- was truly well spent! And ohhh the exhausted snoring! (shhh don't tell her I said that hehehe) She'd cut my gems for sure!

Who knows- with a little more luck there may even be an engagement stone in that gravel!

So- this topic is to get your opinion of what you think of finding a stone to cut and set in a ring vs buying one from a shop.... pros/cons/pitfalls etc...? Hilarious comments are encouraged :D Serious comments are appreciated too :D Have a tip-top day out there and happy hunting!

L&T. :D

So much more satisfaction finding a raw sapphire and having it cut- the hard part if finding a good stone. In terms of colour, I also think Garnets look prettier than ruby and are much more plentiful so make a nice stone. The beauty of being able to look at the stone and know the full story and adventure in how it was found, cut and set is the priceless part a shop bought item will not provide.

Ti's nice to know there's good ppls out there. As to your question, think of it another way. After 40+ years of marriage what will you reflect on more, the store you bought it from, or the creek you found it in, choosing the cut, to fit that gold ring that's been in the family for generations. Or the ring you made from the gold you found.

I hate digging holes, and as I get older and fatter the holes become smaller and smaller.
So I cut. Not only can I cut a sapphire I can also cut a diamond. I can design a piece of jewellery and can make it as well. I can set the stones and do the written valuation for your insurance mostly without leaving my factory. But due to ill health this year my diamond factory is dusted over and the jewellery tools rusted.
I have in the past taught cutting and run the occasional course in wax carving for those who want to cast there own rings etc. But time is very short lately.
I hope to run a few open days next year or single day courses in cutting or wax pattern making, just to keep my hand in.

Regards Tony

Ahhhh... in hindsight I see this was a bit of a rhetorical question- especially on this forum! hehe. Thankyou for your replies Twapster, Excalibur, Jaros and Rough2Cut.

Have a merry n safe christmas season, who knows.. we may even see each other whilst out n about.

Will be venturing up into the unreachable with kayaks for a sieve real soon so will post about that trip upon return.

Good luck in your hunt!

From a woman with a beautiful engagement ring.......... I would say for me it wouldn't matter much either way. I have no clue as to where Mr bangas got my engagement ring from its the fact that he went out there and chose it with me in his mind and wanting to ask me to be his one and only. To me its perfect and it wouldn't matter if it was ring pull ( diamond encrusted mind you lol). I look at it and play with it everyday and it makes me smile.

If you come across that perfect stone you will know its just as perfect as the person you want to see standing next to you for a lifetime.

And don't forget pictures, we want pictures :D

There is just something about finding stuff yourself, a sense of satisfaction that you can't get from just buying them - it's like a treasure hunt. Well, it is a treasure hunt.

In addition to the sense of satisfaction, you will also come away with blisters, cramping arms, a sore back, heatstroke, insect bites, general exhaustion - and a thorough appreciation of what actually makes a gemstone a gemstone. You will understand the huge volumes of dirt that had to be moved and the large numbers of second-grade and rubbish-grade stones that had to be found before those few, high-quality specimens that sparkle in the jewellers window or on the display tables of gemstone and mineral shows could be made available for people to buy.

But there will always be something special about something you found yourself and you will develop and understanding about the natural state of these rare minerals, one that you cannot get from buying them. Up here on my field - the Anakie sapphire field in central QLD - there are old blokes (and women) living in tin shacks and old caravans parked in the bush who can often tell me more about finding sapphires than many trained geologists can.

It's a great hobby, once it's in your blood it's terminal - there is no cure :) I'm currently up here in far North Queensland (Mareeba) and tomorrow I'm gonna do something crazy :p - I'm heading out to Mount Gibson to dig for topaz in the scorching tropical heat. There is a pretty serious drought up here at present and there is no sign of the monsoon which would normally see half the countryside under water here by now so the place should still be accessible. We'll see what happens :)

Loving these posts! Lefty that was a great piece of your mind. Thankyou.We are really starting to appreciate the work and effort and volume of soil to move to find a rare wonderful part of the earth! Learning so much about alluvial stones in general and appreciating the world in a more intimate way. Bangas, what you say is very true... the person is always more important than the ring :D ... Actually I proposed on a university budget :8 (with a lovely wildflower) that I picked from one of our favourite view points here in Tassie (Mt. Barrow) But to make it official... the ring will last a bit longer than the flower ever would. We are very keen and able and it will just be a matter of time until we pop something on the top screen! Here's hoping!

Thanks so much for your efforts in the replies.

Wishing you all a tip top day :)

Dig dig... chikka chikka... shk shk... cha-ching! ;)

Latest posts