First time "Hello"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I just joined up today and am a real Newbie, to both fossicking and Forums. I've had a secret desire to go fossicking for years but have never really had the knowhow. I did go on one of those tourist fossicking days on Flinders Island many years ago and found a really nice and apparently big Topaz which I had cut into nice gems. I think that is what started my secret desire but of course "life" gets in the way and kids take over, etc etc. My hubby and I recently met a couple of grey nomads from Adelaide who were camped and fossicking at the Weld River in NE Tas and were finding some pretty nice looking green and blue sapphires (hence interest re-kindled). A couple of years ago I did buy myself a second hand Whites Metal detector but soon gave up on trying to figure out how to use it. Read instructions carefully too (as we females tend to do) but as it seems to "find" treasure EVERYWHERE I soon gave up. I would like to know if there are any field days on using these "fandangled" machines as definitely need help with this, so I started with Mr "Google" and ended up here. Cheers.

Welcome to PA Crackle. :) youtube is your friend when it comes to learning about detector settings and such. Which model Whites do have? Perhaps somebody on the forum has 1and maybe able to help with some advice.

Thanks people for your replies, nice to know you are actually out there. My user name is the name of my faithful Appaloosa horse which after 19 yrs of doing not much other than showing and polocrosse may about to become a very handy pack horse. But yes, I also love Crackling. You may have seen on the news we are having big floods here in Tassie atm but on the plus side I am looking forward to going bush when it calms down and having a look at some local rivers and streams, checking out the high water flood lines and as I live around the Beaconsfield area I am going to start fairly local at first. Am I on the right track do you think?

Welcome Crackle,

I would sniff around where your from first and test out your gear and theories before travelling further field. Makes sense as long as there is something to look for.

GT :)

goldtruck59 said:
Welcome Crackle,

I would sniff around where your from first and test out your gear and theories before travelling further field. Makes sense as long as there is something to look for.

GT :)

Exactly what I said I think. Still very new at the practicle side of things so wont be going on any long trips until I get a little. Cheers

Latest posts