Black Inch Ants are active - Vic Forests

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This article was in the recent Dunolly 'Welcome Record' - I can vouch for every word said, especially stripping off and doing the ant dance - they are mean and vicious little bxxxxxxrtds and will hunt you down.

1397608059_aant.gif

1397608073_aaant1.gif

hehehe, my parents lived on Mt Dandenong here in Vic, so all too familiar with bullants. Gotta admire their courage though. Even one by itself will front up to a human with a 'COME AT ME BRO' look :D

Yep! 2 very large, red welts on my little pinky from one cranky little bull ant.....

I moved on, no telling what injuries 2 of the little suckers could do! :8

my old man was telling just yesterday that the new firewood collection area NW of Avoca he has been attacked a few time by BIG ants, my old man is not one to complain but he reckons they are chasing him down :0

:lol: Too true - I have even had them attacking my pick - they just hang on and won't let go. Between them, centipedes, scorpions and other sundry biting pleasures - that's why I wear my old riggers gloves when working in leaf litter.... and that's before we even consider the Joe Blakes who thankfully are now a lot less active. That's why I just love 'stralia. Oh forgot - the happy go lucky spitfires that hang off the native scrub.

I saw one once which had another ones head still attached to one of it's legs. Myrmecia are the nastiest ants on the planet, my mates place near Cooma had about 30 different types of them, there are about 70. The big ones are tame compared to Jack Jumpers.

I like the story says has done the stripping dance covered by bull ants in the golden triangle also spotted very large scorpion, one thing I've noticed though when you get a good hit on the detector, there are often big bull ants around, then the big question do I dig or run? Ther probably attracted to all those nuggets and guarding them with there lives, I don't blame them. We are soon touring through south australia and poochera I'd the place of the famous dinosaur ants can't wait to see them...

G0lddigg@ said:
my old man was telling just yesterday that the new firewood collection area NW of Avoca he has been attacked a few time by BIG ants, my old man is not one to complain but he reckons they are chasing him down :0

Damm, I'm detecting that area today 8.(

My VLF detector always sounds when over a nest and i reckon sometimes there's gotta be gold mixed in with the black sands those beasties are bringing up to the surface but is it worth the battle trying to get shovel full of the material into a pan. It's probably one loaming technique that wont catch on :D :D

Couple of things about ants nests.

1. There are tools out there who put non-ferrous targets into or on ant heaps as a not very funny joke to set off detectors. same types who wack coke cans down dead tree stumps to get people digging.
2. Under the Vic Miners Rights rules and regs - you can't dig them up or in fact harm any animal. Parks Vic advise digging into ants nests is a big no-no.

They are good signs that in their general area the soil is deep and soft enough for them to dig and its interesting to note what they bring up - usually nice fine wash. The old timers used them to look for indications of dykes where the soils were softer than the surrounding areas. The line of nests can be followed to see what pattern forms - loaming, using ants?!

Best left alone IMO - just look at what they are bringing up, take note, search the general area, be a good forest citizen and leave the little mongrels alone to bite some-one else (hopefully a Carlton supporter). They especially love hiding in the leaf litter and softer soils in the trough of old puddlers.

I reckon I'll take my work gloves away this weekend, never thought about running across creepy crawlies in my hunting! loamer, you're not a Pies supporter are you? hahahaha.

Timmah said:
I reckon I'll take my work gloves away this weekend, never thought about running across creepy crawlies in my hunting! loamer, you're not a Pies supporter are you? hahahaha.

Too right!!! Best gloves for these buggers I have found, is the cheap Riggers Gloves.

1397708699_apies.jpg

hehehe, Then I say bring on this weekend! My boys (North Melbourne) play your boys :D

Timmah said:
hehehe, Then I say bring on this weekend! My boys (North Melbourne) play your boys :D

Redfins a shin-boner as well. We apparently big 'city' boys of Dunolly/Bealiba/Laanacoorie can't handle the Victorian inch ants?! All I can say is - lets see some inter-staters do a nudey roll in their nests.

loamer said:
Timmah said:

Redfins a shin-boner as well. We apparently big 'city' boys of Dunolly/Bealiba/Laanacoorie can't handle the Victorian inch ants?! All I can say is - lets see some inter-staters do a nudey roll in their nests.

Don't know about handling inch ants but I know they can't make pies! Stopped through Bealiba today, asked for a steak and pepper pie, got some curry slop. One bite and straight out the window.

DD

Diggerdude said:
loamer said:
Timmah said:

Don't know about handling inch ants but I know they can't make pies! Stopped through Bealiba today, asked for a steak and pepper pie, got some curry slop. One bite and straight out the window.

DD

DD - try the Dunolly Bakery on Broadway. THE only bakery we go to - the rest are very tres ordinaires around these parts.

Latest posts