Black Inch Ants are active - Vic Forests

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chewy said:
Makes you wonder though....protected species. No shortage of them from what I've seen.
Yeah i get where you're coming from Chew, but i suppose it's more a blanket protection to allow depi etc to prosecute people who might be out in the scrub just going about killing and destroying things willy nilly. I can't imagine anybody being prosecuted for crunching a few ants but i have heard of weirder things i suppose :)

Ill admit I had a laugh when I was first told about the ants by my mate who grew up in guildford and knows the laws well. Being a bloke who keeps a serious face for days through jokes it took me a while to fully believe it, but in the end it does make sense.

Even though to us they are ants, certain species are being wiped out by more agressive species and then when we loose an active animal such as ant colonies, it can severly impact the environment, just from the loss of one species. Just an awareness of extinction for all life.

I'm starting to learn the local protection act trying to take place, is more to do with these animals which seem "useless" like certain species of frogs, fish..etc unless we understand thier purpose in that environment.

tryhard1968 said:
I feel your pain, I swear they are one smart bunch, I was near a large nest the other day and I swear they charged me in a arrow head formation, I stepped left and it followed me an amazing site.
Yep, they will actively pursue you if you've disturbed there nest. They're serious bastards :lol:

Latest posts