Bit of a tumbling mishap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently started a batch of rocks, mostly jasper and petrified wood. Even though most were well rounded, I started off on the course grind stage to see what they would look like with a bit taken back. Everything seemed like it was going fine until the polish stage. In pre-polish a few stones had some miner cracks and pits, but after coming out of polish there was a lot of chuncks taken out of most of the rocks :( Though they all came up with a nice polish. I will get away with a few of them, but some will have to go back in again later.

Thanks guys. They did turn out nice, was just did not expect to see that amount of damage in the last week. I have never had this sort of damage tumbling before.

AR, when I first started there were only a few small minor cracks in 2-3 rocks. Normally I would cut up any rocks with bad cracks. A little damage was sustained in the first 3 weeks of tumbling, with a few more cracks appearing and 1-2 small chips appearing. But after the polish stage, a few rocks now look like they have been hit with a hammer. I am starting to wonder if I may not have had enough in the barrel in the last stage......

Latest posts