big telescopic antennas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
who knows anything about big telescopic antennas as seen sometimes on military vehicles ?

they are probably VHF type but can they also be used to mount mobile phone range extenders ?

I am trying to find better technologies for outback communications and i have seen one of those ex army telescopic antennas for sale.

this one folds down to 1 metre length and about 7 metres high when extended ( only to be used while parked up of course )

Hey Headsup,
sat phone fixes everything.
If you are conducting a business and you can not receive mobile coverage in your business area you are entitled to a $1000.00 rebate on the purchase price of Sat phone.
top of the range will now cost around 650 dollars.
you can nominate what days you want phone operational through a pre paid 12 months plan.
you only pay for those days instead of having phone in constant use.

so say you are heading out west for 3 days......can book on the sat phone in advance the 3 day block.
only use phone in an emergency or to call in once per day at designated time zone.

This is a far cheaper idea than renting the phone for a week.
You certainly would not use it to have a conversation with your handbrake......at $5.00 to 6.00 per minute.
They also have a GPS tracking unit when the phone is on.
just a thought.

Or a VHF there is always someone listening somewhere on this planet.

A friend of mine due to his VHF Home base system and the aerial system I designed using a 12m telescopic sailing mast he constantly communicates with outback traveller's in NW Qld and the top end of the NT
he resides on the Central Coast NSW.

Mobile coverage Australia wide for emergency services (000) 5W.
Don't hold the phone to long to the side of your head as it will fry your brain.

Aerial could be a waste of money if you were only using it once every couple of months.
plus licence.
cost of VHF
Cheers.

thanks Brian

I looked at those a while back , and while i can buy a second hand one for under $ 200 its the actual usage rates that have me reaching for the hair dye.

I would be trying to use it for internet access as well as for phone use and data is what sneaks up and bites holes in your wallet

thesmithy said:
A friend of mine due to his VHF Home base system and the aerial system I designed using a 12m telescopic sailing mast he constantly communicates with outback traveller's in NW Qld and the top end of the NT
he resides on the Central Coast NSW. wow !

Mobile coverage Australia wide for emergency services (000) 5W.
Don't hold the phone to long to the side of your head as it will fry your brain.

i didnt know these existed , they must have a special license for it ? as far as frying the brain there are low powered wireless headsets you can use while the actual phone can be put into a bronze mesh shielded box so in theory the only radiation would be from the antenna ?

or use a speaker and mic vehicle kit with the phone itself being shielded too.....

HeadsUp said:
who knows anything about big telescopic antennas as seen sometimes on military vehicles ?

they are probably VHF type but can they also be used to mount mobile phone range extenders ?

I am trying to find better technologies for outback communications and i have seen one of those ex army telescopic antennas for sale.

this one folds down to 1 metre length and about 7 metres high when extended ( only to be used while parked up of course )

Hi Headsup,

I am an amateur radio operator (VK2DLI)

Frequency band governs the length of a vertical antenna, Those military antennas are probably in the HF (1.8 to 30MHZ) range and are not suitable and very inefficient for VHF and mobile phone frequencies.

Cheers
Barry

I would dare to say that if you are looking for a long range antenna for a radio in the range of the telescopic military type because you have no coms, then no amount of boosting will get you a mobile phone signal.

Horses for courses;

PHONES
If in the city, medium to large rural town, mobile phones are great. Also travelling on major highways. Country VIC, NSW are generously covered. Outback SA QLD NT & WA are not. Telstra have the best rural coverage and they sell "Blue Tick phones that are supposed to be better in rural areas.
If you are in remote areas, a Sat phone is the only way to go.

RADIO
UHF or CB radio is short range line of sight and with a very good setup in flat, no trees or buildings country are good for a maximum 30 or so kms. If you are on top of a mountain, surrounded by flat land, then the range increases.
Remote radio is HF, ie what the RFDS use to comunicate with remote stations etc.

SATELLITE
Depending on your equipment, you can get Satellite Internet (different to Sat phone) anywhere with a view of the sky, but you need a dish, reciever and laptop and there's a cost. But you can then use something like Skype.

It all comes down to where you are going, how long for, who with and $$$$$$$$$

Latest posts