Big Brother is Watching

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a statement, Queensland's Department of Environment and Science confirmed they were investigating an offence in relation to "interference with natural resources" and could not comment further as the investigation was ongoing.

It said rangers monitored social media accounts to identify and investigate alleged "noncompliant activities."
They've confirmed what some people have been saying or been aware of for years. These departments do monitor social media. Can't say we haven't been warned. :|
Looks like this bloke was in the right spot though so if correct should escape the fine? Hopefully Legal Aid or someone can help him out?

"These departments do monitor social media". I doubt that. Somebody who doesn't like him, or who is an ultra-green, has dobbed him in, and told them that they read it on his website. There just aren't enough public servants to monitor bushwalking social media looking for such things - and "quartz" is not a great search keyword.

Better check what is stuck in the gaps of your boot soles, on leaving national parks. :awful:

Fossicking
Description
Description In Australia, New Zealand and Cornwall, fossicking is prospecting, especially when carried out as a recreational activity. This can be for gold, precious stones, fossils, etc. by sifting through a prospective area. In Australian English and New Zealand English, the term has an extended use meaning to "rummage". Wikipedia

Fossicking
rummage; search.
"he spent years fossicking through documents"
search for gold in abandoned workings.

What tools do you need for Fossicking?
You will need to bring a pair of sieves (coarse and fine), shovel (the longer the handle, the better), plastic bottle with lid and/or snaplock bag for your finds, pair of tweezers for picking them out of the concentrate and a bucket.

Does not sound like this bloke was fossicking or rummaging around for anything. It sounds like he was walking under a bridge and looked down and saw a crystal and picked it up......This is not Fossicking.

Likely will get dropped, there is no direct evidence, they have to much to prove he is guilty, if in fact he did not state he picked it up in the Park, no witnesses for the Rangers.

Many things need to be proven without a doubt, otherwise "that gravel in your boot" would convict everyone by mere suggestion of Rangers, BUT most just buckle and pay the fine if it is thrown at them, a Magistrate would likely drop it I think.

I'm with you Heatho, a FB knuckle head. :rolleyes:

Feel sorry for the guy, our world has gone nuts !

You know this poor bugga is getting hassled over picking up a rock and here in cairns and Townsville innocent people are loosing their lives to callus teens stealing cars and joyriding. When theyre caught the poor dears have had a hard life so lets give them a chance for the 20th time. A huge waste of resources. Not happy Jan ]:D

Redfin said:
Loose lips sink ships.
Which is a good thing
Because crims are dumb , most idiots doing the wrong thing brag about it and get busted.
My favourite is the ones that drive too fast or don't put their seatbelt on and when they get nabbed, surprise the cars full of drugs or stolen.

Google is a great example , every search YOU do is recorded !

Reward cards also record every thing you buy !

Never share important info using email !

Become a grey man ' :cool:

Notice I'm not going to sign off on this ,,,,,,,

goldierocks said:
"These departments do monitor social media". I doubt that.
You might doubt it but they do it using various means including Media Monitoring Services like Meltwater, BuzzNumbers, Cubit or even the CSIRO's own Vizie monitoring software.
These types of companies/platform can track online conversations across social media, blogs, forums, news, video, Q&A, Wiki's & pretty much everywhere online. They don't require huge human resources out of Government Departments & lucky for us we (taxpayers) pay for it.
The NSW Government Media Monitoring Services contract stipulates social media monitoring as a key function.

I do agree with Heatho & yourself that in the above one off case it would be unlikely that it was captured by those means. Somebody likely reported him through a dislike for him or ultra green not liking the disturbance of a rock. Either way it was followed up (even if it does appear erroneously).

However I do believe that where non-compliant activities are regularly discovered or reported & involve specific forums, websites, Farcebook Groups, other interest groups, individuals then they are well & truly open to being monitored either by the indirect means above or directly by relevant Government Departments.

mbasko said:
goldierocks said:
You might doubt it but they do it using various means including Media Monitoring Services like Meltwater, BuzzNumbers, Cubit or even the CSIRO's own Vizie monitoring software.
These types of companies/platform can track online conversations across social media, blogs, forums, news, video, Q&A, Wiki's & pretty much everywhere online. They don't require huge human resources out of Government Departments & lucky for us we (taxpayers) pay for it.
The NSW Government Media Monitoring Services contract stipulates social media monitoring as a key function.

I do agree with Heatho & yourself that in the above one off case it would be unlikely that it was captured by those means. Somebody likely reported him through a dislike for him or ultra green not liking the disturbance of a rock. Either way it was followed up (even if it does appear erroneously).

However I do believe that where non-compliant activities are regularly discovered or reported & involve specific forums, websites, Farcebook Groups, other interest groups, individuals then they are well & truly open to being monitored either by the indirect means above or directly by relevant Government Departments.

Good point mbasko. I was going to mention this as well. The tech is there and used everyday.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

:p

Perhaps the wording of the article suggests a greater effort on their behalf than what has actually occurred?

Person A reports person Bs social media post and they follow up, rather than the dept collecting and reviewing filtered content?

This would seem much more likely to me. The real question I have is why they went ahead with the issuing of the fine and how they managed to contact him.

Any way its a complete disgrace that this is the type of impost that can be imposed through the will of the public service.

mbasko said:
goldierocks said:

Yes, that is more my point - one can easily link and monitor things, but humans still have to decide what is relevant. For example, narrowing using a search on "gold" might produce a manageable list (although it would require a department of people to monitor the hits just on this site). And a couple of rangers following tyre tracks would probably be more productive. However I doubt that they would even try "quartz" as a key word...... No, in this case someone has dobbed him in.

Just because the gov'mint CAN do something doesn't mean they waste resources doing so. Most social media monitoring in cases like this is probably manual monitoring of people already suspected of something, based on a tip=off or other reason. What you put on line is in the public domain and legally there for governments or any individuals to peruse. It is hardly deep state stuff...

Latest posts