Beware when selling

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The idiots seem to be attracted to me lately.
I sold my pinpointer last night to a bloke. He arrived, checked out the pinpointer, made sure it worked, I showed him receipts etc. This pinpointer came with my 2nd hand detector and I was told it was used 3 times. Its in excellent condition and this bloke must have been happy with it as he handed over the money and went on his way.
An hour later I get a msg from him saying I'm a liar and its been used more than 3 times along with the threat of him saying he knows where I live.
I call him immediately and ask him why he Bought it if he wasn't happy with it. He claims it was dark at which point I remind him we were standing directly under a bright light. He then again threatens me and says he knows where I live and bad things could happen bla bla bla. I blew up a bit at him but remained sensible and said bring it back and you can. Have your money although he hung up on me.
I contacted the police and gave them his details, they tried to contact him however he ignored their calls.
I received a few more msgs from him and he didn't seem interested in returning the pinpointer, probably because it was accurately described in the add, is in excellent condition and still under warranty.
Thanks to the internet I was able to obtain his address and get all of his details along with an article of him in the paper in 2009.
I can't understand his issue and I have offered resolution to his non issue. He advised he will be going to the police station today to file a formal complaint, what sort of complaint I don't know as I have been honest and provided as good service as possible.
I can't even comprehend his train of thought or lack of. I knew he was very eccentric and odd when I met him however I didn't expect such irrational behavior from a middle aged man given his profession as well. I haven't expressed the fact that I know everything about him so I hope he reads this.
What a mess!

i would hold onto the messages threatening you and or suggesting something similar just in case, sounds like a knob to me
This is one of the reasons i dont sell on gumtree and if i sell on ebay then i will only post

Yeah I've got records of everything. What I don't understand is, he checked it out thoroughly at my front door, made sure it worked and happily purchased it based on the assessment he made. And then carries on like this? Very odd.
In hindsight I should have met him somewhere, I figured it would be all good as its in almost perfect condition, still under warranty and its only a $120 item. How wrong I was. Luckily I think its all bluff at his end. And he hasn't exercised any interest in returning it? I can't make sense of it

Sounds like you couldnt have done anything else at all, who knows what goes on inside some peoples heads :eek: i am sure they are empty threats but i will be considering a mutual location if i need to meet strangers in the future. Never gave it a second thought untill now ;)

wow you found the biggest nutter of the year mate, good one,
ive brought and sold thousands of items big and small and only problem except for ebay buyers trying to scam part refunds is a kiwi bloke who i sold a motorbike to,and its also the only time ive been threatened selling,

Yeah I certainly found him. I've never had any issues either as I'm completely transparent and honest when selling items. I look after my things and if anything is defective I will point it out to the seller and any imperfections are always factored into the asking price and pointed out from the get go. I think this guy is trying to intimidate me and get it for nothing or something. Saying I might be facing jail time and making threats etc. Its a little amusing to see a middle aged man behave in this way when as a buyer he chose to make the purchase.

Sa_bogan said:
i would hold onto the messages threatening you and or suggesting something similar just in case, sounds like a knob to me
This is one of the reasons i dont sell on gumtree and if i sell on ebay then i will only post

just as many dodgies, and nutters on ebay. I use gumtree to sell, and buy locally. I wont sell on ebay anymore, its geared to protect sellers, thus make it easy for sellers to get ripped.

Sell quite a bit and has got that bad that I now discretely mark items I sell as have to many try to return an item that is not even what I sold them in the first place.
Just be careful he doesn't try to return item as it may well be not the one he purchased from you but one that was buggered and hence his carry on as it sounds like he is setting you up for something
Short of that discretely pump half a syringe of 5 minute araldite into a few of his house and car locks ................... works wonders. :eek:

just as many dodgies, and nutters on ebay. I use gumtree to sell, and buy locally. I wont sell on ebay anymore, its geared to protect buyers, thus make it easy for sellers to get ripped.

rocketaroo said:
just as many dodgies, and nutters on ebay. I use gumtree to sell, and buy locally. I wont sell on ebay anymore, its geared to protect buyers, thus make it easy for sellers to get ripped.

100% correct as a seller you don't even get to plead your case, the minute a claim is placed funds are frozen and refunded in full. It's that bad for any high price items I won't accept Paypal for that exact reason and have even refunded and cancelled sale when has been paid that way.

Unfortunately not everyone is dealt the same cards. This guy sounds a bit sus complaining about the pointer but not returning it when you offered, either he is a bit short on brain cells or he has other plans like mentioned above.

Walshie there are just some friggin nutters out there and you caught one !! Seems like you have got yourself covered if he blows up.

How the hell could he know whether a pointer has been used 3 times or more...friggin nutter I reckon

I have learned also...not to piss off Bogger...5 minute araldite :eek: ... that is outstanding !!!

Magilla wrote>"Unfortunately not everyone is dealt the same cards. This guy sounds a bit sus complaining about the pointer but not returning it when you offered, either he is a bit short on brain cells or he has other plans like mentioned above."

Or on ICE... :/

Worth thinking about CCTV set up Walshie & maybe a safe if you don't already have these, only reply by pm to this if you want to. Might sound a bit over the top, sorry just my work background kicking in. If you want any advice pm me. Time you got a break from the nutters. Cheers Rob

Sounds like a total weirdo. Be carefull Walshie, he might have just bought it so he can check your place out. I think it's very suss.

Sorry Walshie... I know this is a 100% serious issue and I can imagine you are very concerned and rightly so. While I can see the funny side of responses I can also see the support you have from other forum members... I cant advise you other than to say that if this muppet makes any trouble for you talk to the cops.
cheers
Mike :|

Latest posts