Beware of snakes at night

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight I consider myself very lucky
I was working in the shed,and about 9.25 I finished up and put the truck in the shed,and back to the house for the night,after sitting down for a few minutes I remembered I had not shut the oven off so I grabed a torch,which I do not normaly do,as I got to the shed right in my path was a 2ft brown snake,I have no doubt I would stood on it,if I had not had the torch.Only a pair croges and shorts on.
Yesterday we had 3ft copperhead at the door,we do not normaly see many snakes.A friend of our daughter had one in the house,and few other friends have snakes about of lately,they say that snakes move when there is a change in the weather coming.
Regards Frank

Could well be a change in the weather, yesterday I followed a line of ants around my house, never seen so many of the little buggers, all moving to higher ground, about lunch time today it rained, and rained hard for over an hour, pool over flowed and pump couldnt keep up with it.

As for snakes up here, well thanks to the cane toads, I havnt seen a king brown for 5 years, not one, used to see them regularly, and some real big ones to.

Jeez close call. Maybe a little too close. Someone was telling me that after dark the snakes are still out and about and the snakes like the driveways cause after a hot day the concrete is still warm. So everyone be careful and stay safe.

Your a lucky man Frank.
That would have been a sh!tty end to the night to say the least. I've been out bush for a couple of weeks and have only found one Shingle Back, thousands of Roos a hand full of Scorpians and not a snake to speak of, and you nearly step on one in ya shed!
I'm luck they don't like where I live. Too many Trees (cool temperate rainforest)

subconscious saves the day again by grabbing a torch,.... trust in that INTUITION, as it is subconscious at work,... and let me tell you, it doesn't miss a trick. ;) :D

My son called the Melbourne Snake Man two weekends back after my kids spotted two Browns sunbaking in our garden. He came, couldn't find them and charged me $180 for attending. I asked why so much and he replied due to insurance! I stated that even leccies/plumbers etc charge around $50 call out and probably pay larger insurance, but he's adamant - snake or no snake. Now there'll be no snakes for him to catch!

Pretty lucky there Frank, lucky you grabbed the torch, had a couple warm nights so could be a few around.

A place I've panned & taken the highbanker a few times has long grass around & a few weeks back after we had rain & the creek had risen a fair bit then gone down a few days later I went down for a bit of panning, heard something to my right & seen the last 2 feet of a red belly black snake heading into the sticks & grass, he'd been trying to warm up as it was a coolish partly overcast day.
That was ok, then only the other day after a couple cool days, we got some sun so I headed down with the banker, getting set up I headed up the bank to the tubs of gear, just as I got near them I seen the last half (2+ feet) or so of an eastern brown snake, think it came from under my tubs that were sitting on partly flattened long grass. Thought about taking the whipper snipper thing down there to give it a trim.

Many years ago after a stinking hot scorcher of a day we decided to get a few beers & a couple of cooked chooks & go up (20 k's) to the Murray River for a swim & cool off.
We got there just before dark & set up a blanket & esky on the sand about 20 meters above the waters edge at a quiet spot. Even though it had turned dark there was enough light for us to run down for a dip & then back up for another drink or feed. We continued back & forth all night. We had forgot to bring a torch.
Well into the night another car drove into the car park & the occupant got out & started flashing a torch around. We watched as the torch light made its way down to the water line & then it seemed to amble back & forth. We thought someone had come down for a swim earlier & lost a wallet/piece of jewlery & they had come back to search for it.
When the torch was only 50 meters or so away I asked "Lost something mate"? The owner of the torch came up & introduced himself & told us he was looking for snakes for the CSIRO for snake bite antivenene. I laughingly ask if he had had any luck yet. "Yep ...... I've got 15 or 20 so far". We all thought BS until he showed us the canvas bag he was carrying. It was big & squirming & it was getting very heavy he said. He then went onto tell us that he came down to the river every night after a very hot day as the snakes have to drink every day & they wait until dark to venture out. He had got the 15 or 20 snakes within 50 to 150 meters from where we had been running around in the dark. :eek:
When we told him we didn't have a torch he suggested we pack up with the aid of his torch & he would show the way the 200 meters back to our car. We agreed. :D
On the way to the car he nabbed another 5 ft black.
I've never wandered around in the dark without a torch since that night. Particularly around water or after a hot day.
I think you were lucky Frank.
Rob.

Only 1 brown snake left lurking (I hope). One of my family must have driven over the smaller one on our driveway this morning. Our local snake catching extortionist is down $180. Let's hope he's soon down another $180!

Latest posts