Best Minelab setup - best model GPX and coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G day Guys

My young bloke has almost got me convinced about these things, so much so that I am at the point of vaulting who has the best deal. But my question is which is the best model, and what coils should I get with it. Minelab have the GPX series but there is the 4500, 4800 and 5000, plus the range of coils. I would envisage that the areas that it will see most use would range from normal hilly conditions as found along the east coast to the arid flats of central Australia. Any recommendations of which model and the coils best suited to not only the model, but also the wide ranging landscape.

Thanks

John

G'day John,

For value for money I would say get a 4500. You can generally pick them up for about $4000 and there is very little difference between this and the 5000. If money is no option of course get the 5000.
The standard 11" mono coil that they come with is a good all rounder and gets the most use. You may also find a small nugget finder 'Sadie' coil useful for small gold on mullock heaps and a 18" mono are good for getting depth.
A couple other things that I use often are a booster, these will make hearing them faint signals easier for worn out ears, and gives you easy volume control in the wind etc. a small plastic scoop for separating out your nugget, it's amazing how such a little item can make life so easy.
If you have never used one before going out and trying it first may be an idea, before spending all that money to discover that you don't really like wandering the bush with an expensive whipper snipper. I have a spare 5000 you can give a test drive to if your over Ararat way.

Good luck with it.

DD

Diggerdude said:
G'day John,

For value for money I would say get a 4500. You can generally pick them up for about $4000 and there is very little difference between this and the 5000. If money is no option of course get the 5000.
The standard 11" mono coil that they come with is a good all rounder and gets the most use. You may also find a small nugget finder 'Sadie' coil useful for small gold on mullock heaps and a 18" mono are good for getting depth.
A couple other things that I use often are a booster, these will make hearing them faint signals easier for worn out ears, and gives you easy volume control in the wind etc. a small plastic scoop for separating out your nugget, it's amazing how such a little item can make life so easy.
If you have never used one before going out and trying it first may be an idea, before spending all that money to discover that you don't really like wandering the bush with an expensive whipper snipper. I have a spare 5000 you can give a test drive to if your over Ararat way.

Good luck with it.

DD

yeah what he said except the 11" DD coil can be useful too

everything else . ditto ditto ditto

and i like aftermarket batteries that clip on the the control box so you dont have to wear a harness and dont have the battery cable catching on things all the time.

I had a 5000 great detector! Detecting is great when your getting gold consistently but go a couple of days with no gold and a mosquito buzzing in ur head all day,that's not so fun... I would agree with DD that there's little difference between 4500 and 5000.

Ok guys,

what about these large coils for arid areas, some go out to 18 and 20', and these days i thinkI seen you can get mono and doubles in these sizes. I have played with them over the years, not really my cup of tea, I admit they are handy in the quest for nuggets. If I am going to buy one I just want to buy what I would need all at the one time. Trust otherwise things tend to escalate when I enter a shop, I can go in after a 17 ft tinny with a nine hp motor, and leave with a 70ft rivera, with twin cats.

HeadsUp said:
Diggerdude said:
G'day John,

Good luck with it.

DD

and i like aftermarket batteries that clip on the the control box so you dont have to wear a harness and dont have the battery cable catching on things all the time.

I like the idea of the aftermarket battery clip. who sells these.

there are two brands available , woody from melbourne does one and sells on ebay , there is another kit from the USA using a NP-F970 Sony Camcorder battery , theirs sells for $ 500

I made my own for $ 60

genuine sony battery $ 140 each or chinese for $ 25 each

charger is about $ 12

a few hours with wires and soldering iron and you have it

5 pin ML plugs available from detectormods ( woody ) , they are not easily sourced anywhere else

i incorporated a rooster booster into mine so i also have an amplifier and can run either headphones or speaker

if you need to wiring diagram for the connections let me know

Village said:
HeadsUp said:
Diggerdude said:
G'day John,

Good luck with it.

DD

I like the idea of the aftermarket battery clip. who sells these.

Wireless audio with lighter aftermarket battery here.

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

DD

I can recommend the "Little Ripper " from Minelab mods as above. True wireless setup & good battery life.

Headsup - what are you using to regulate power on the DIY setup? What voltage are you running at? Can you put up some pics?

Ok

So if I am going to get a price I would be asking for;

GPX5000, (Now this comes with an 11" Double?)
A Cover for the control box
A speaker, with a rooster booster
Nugget Finder 18"
a pinpoint probe

and I get that little ripper mod separately, if I can find his contact details.

So would that be right?

thanks

John

i am not so sure about the pinpointer . spend that money on loose women instead . or tight ones

you might want a small coil like 8 x 6 sadie ( NF ) for small gold and tight bush spaces

11" mono and DD coils plus your 18 " mono

thats about right

and make a waterproof cover out of those really really expensive green bags that people sometimes use for their garbage in case it rains while youre out walking . coz the ML's are not waterproof.

and make a lockup box in your vehicle so it doesnt get stolen when you turn your back for 5 seconds to go pay for fuel in that outback servo.
coz its surprising how many do get pinched.

If buying a 4500 get one of the newer models.

Buying a small coil get a minelab 8" mono. Going by
Info supplied by Experienced prospectors this coil is as
Sensitive as the smaller ones mentioned here but goes
Deeper.

Village said:
Ok

So if I am going to get a price I would be asking for;

GPX5000, (Now this comes with an 11" Double?)
A Cover for the control box
A speaker, with a rooster booster
Nugget Finder 18"
a pinpoint probe

and I get that little ripper mod separately, if I can find his contact details.

So would that be right?

thanks

John

Hi Village
Mate with the "Little Ripper" you wont need the extra booster as it has one built in, IMHO this is the number 1 add on for any minelab PI, the freedom is "AWESOME" I have been using mine for 4 years a full days detecting & only 3 hours to charge.
Have a look, http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/
cheers
Lee

I contacted Ismael during the week in anticipation of purchasing a "Little Ripper " for when I get a GPX but he no longer has any. I have asked if he will make some more but no response as yet. He will however upgrade the SD/GP version to suit a GPX for $100 + postage. Unfortunately I sold mine with the SD2200D before I knew this 8.(

Reeds Prospecting now have a similar set up:
https://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/eq-spirit-li-ion-battery/

Reeds Prospecting said:
The Reeds EQ SPIRIT Battery is the latest innovationin battery technology. It is a Lithium-Ion battery that is designed to be lightweight, so that it will fit on the side of the detector.This means that at last you can put the detector down on the ground and walk away without beingattached to the detector.The EQ SPIRIT battery has a LINK that is placed on the body of the prospector, it can be attached to a harness or belt. The headphone or speaker jack is inserted into the LINK.

This WIRELESS LINK means that there is no cable from detector to the prospector.This battery has been designed so that it can be adjusted to suit any of theMinelabgold metal detectors. It can be adjusted so that the voltage suits the SD range of detectors, the GP range and the GPX range. No need for separate power leads and battery systems, this battery suits them all.

Both the EQ SPIRIT battery and the WIRELESS LINK can be separately re-charged. The battery and the LINK willaudiblyinform the user of the number of hours run time left in each component.A lot of time and effort has gone into making sure that the battery has fantastic sound. It has options for different detecting conditions, so every prospector can get the best from amplification of target noise and reduction of ambient noise as required.
It is red, so it goes faster.

It works by attaching it with Velcro to the side of the detector (weight 600grams). There is a very short cable from the battery to the detector.The WIRELESS LINK is placed on the bodyand headphones/ speaker inserted. The user works through the digitalised operating instructions and away they go.

Re-charging:The EQ SPIRIT is re-charged using the standard GPX240V and 12Vbattery chargers. (These are not included in the package). The WIRELESS LINK comes with its own chargers, these are included in the pack.

Also available are Noise Cancelling Headphones. These are used without the WIRELESS LINK, and work directly from the detector.However, you do need to run the EQ SPIRIT battery to make the headphones work.This means that thedetectoristcan wear these headphones and move away from the detector with no attachments at all.

PRICE: $440.00
Battery pack: including EQ SPIRIT battery, short power cable, Velcro strips, WIRELESS LINK, (240V and 12V charger for WIRELESS LINK ONLY).

Additional Extras:
GPX 240Vand 12V if purchased at same time as battery $60.00 for both chargers.
Noise Cancelling Headphones: $399.00

Sounds ok - be good to hear from someone using one though.
Note: this is a true wireless system also. You can use with any headphones or speaker thru the wireless link just like Ismaels. The optional headphones allow you to not need the wireless link so for $399 they can keep those - I use a speaker anyhows. Anyone got a good relationship with Reeds so they can test drive one?

Hi All, have been using the EQ Spirit on my 4500 for a few weeks now.
Here's my thoughts in no particular order....
Very light, great for a full day of detecting.
Sound quality is good, I have not noticed anything untoward, and have picked up .15 to 66 gram nuggets using the EQ.
Build quality at first glance appears a bit cheap, ( my opinion only)
Price is OBVIOUSLY on a par with all the other options for after market batteries.
The ability to put the detector down and walk around freely is the biggest plus. I manage to get around 2.5 metres away from the detector and still maintain the wireless connection. This gives you plenty of room to dig without fear of stepping on your detector. (Plenty of room to dance as well when you pull that nugget from the dirt)

Booting the battery/link up is not as simple as it could be, (unless I am doing something wrong).

To fire the battery system up, you need to
1 Turn the Spirit Link on first.
2 Turn the EQ Spirit battery on next.
3 Turn your detector on last....(which by the way takes 2 flicks of the power switch???) Must follow up with Reeds on that one!

All said and done, the above process is only 30 secs, so no big deal there. (4 operations instead on 1 tho)
However if you get the start up process wrong, ( ie turn the Battery on before the Link) the battery and the link do not synchronise correctly, so you need to shut the whole system down and start from scratch.
This can be a pain in the proverbial and could do with some more thought.

Battery life is great, I get in around 8 hrs a day detecting without any issues, and recharging takes around an hour roughly.

The instructions for setup need a bit of deciphering and could be written a little bit clearer.
I use an external speaker and am finding the Cable to Link a bit of an issue, need some mods to my backpack to sort that one out.
The next 10 grammer will buy me a set of Wireless headphones which will eliminate 90% of the cables.

Hope this helps.

Cheers BL

Hi HeadsUp
could you supply the wiring diagram for this setup
Thanks
HeadsUp said:
there are two brands available , woody from melbourne does one and sells on ebay , there is another kit from the USA using a NP-F970 Sony Camcorder battery , theirs sells for $ 500

I made my own for $ 60

genuine sony battery $ 140 each or chinese for $ 25 each

charger is about $ 12

a few hours with wires and soldering iron and you have it

5 pin ML plugs available from detectormods ( woody ) , they are not easily sourced anywhere else

i incorporated a rooster booster into mine so i also have an amplifier and can run either headphones or speaker

if you need to wiring diagram for the connections let me know

Hi HeadsUp
would you have the wiring diagram for your battery setup for gpx 5000
Thanks

Bucketlist said:
Hi All, have been using the EQ Spirit on my 4500 for a few weeks now.
Here's my thoughts in no particular order....
Very light, great for a full day of detecting.
Sound quality is good, I have not noticed anything untoward, and have picked up .15 to 66 gram nuggets using the EQ.
Build quality at first glance appears a bit cheap, ( my opinion only)
Price is OBVIOUSLY on a par with all the other options for after market batteries.
The ability to put the detector down and walk around freely is the biggest plus. I manage to get around 2.5 metres away from the detector and still maintain the wireless connection. This gives you plenty of room to dig without fear of stepping on your detector. (Plenty of room to dance as well when you pull that nugget from the dirt)

Booting the battery/link up is not as simple as it could be, (unless I am doing something wrong).

To fire the battery system up, you need to
1 Turn the Spirit Link on first.
2 Turn the EQ Spirit battery on next.
3 Turn your detector on last....(which by the way takes 2 flicks of the power switch???) Must follow up with Reeds on that one!

All said and done, the above process is only 30 secs, so no big deal there. (4 operations instead on 1 tho)
However if you get the start up process wrong, ( ie turn the Battery on before the Link) the battery and the link do not synchronise correctly, so you need to shut the whole system down and start from scratch.
This can be a pain in the proverbial and could do with some more thought.

Battery life is great, I get in around 8 hrs a day detecting without any issues, and recharging takes around an hour roughly.

The instructions for setup need a bit of deciphering and could be written a little bit clearer.
I use an external speaker and am finding the Cable to Link a bit of an issue, need some mods to my backpack to sort that one out.
The next 10 grammer will buy me a set of Wireless headphones which will eliminate 90% of the cables.

Hope this helps.

Cheers BL

Hey Bucketlist
Mate could please explain the 2 issues I have highlighted a little more maybe with pictures, it just has me wondering what your issue is with the cables??? I use the Little Ripper, & only have about 8" of speaker cable on the outside of my back pack & this has never been an issue for me! I would like to know more as I may need to go with the EQ in the future.
cheers
Lee

Latest posts